Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 See Thru Mounts >

See Thru Mounts

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

See Thru Mounts

Old 03-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: See Thru Mounts

i have see thru mounts on a couple guns (.22, .270, .44) and plan on putting them on my muzzleloader. I like them. I like the flexibility of both sights. if they are installed properly they should work as good as any mount. as with anything, if you use it enough you will get used to the position and shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with most on this topic. Get rid of the See-Thru's.Like mentioned they raise the scope to high. The S-T's are made of Aluminum Extrusions.The slightest bump will knock your scope out.If they were made of steel they would probably be a good idea. I've never seen steel See-Thru's telling me nobody makes them.Buy a good set of rings and bases and trash the See-Thru's is my best advice.I have a gunsmith friend who has a wall full of them,ones taking off of customers guns.That proves something to me.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-17-2004, 03:16 PM

Leafrivermac..........get rid of the see thru mounts!!!!!! Right in Leupold's site in the official leupold owners handbooks download section they state, "THE LOWER THE BETTER" page 3 in the actual book and page 6 in the web download section ( http://www.leupold.com/resources/dow...s_Handbook.pdf ). Good luck with the gun and if you can't get the mounts off, It's worth it to bring it to a gunsmith. Have fun shooting ............John
Old 03-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my scopes as low as possible. I have no use for see-thru mounts myself.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:49 PM

Unlike most, I really like my see through mounts. Irons are zeroed at 100 and scope at 300. For running shots, you can't beat iron sights, and for long shots a scope is the answer. I feel you get the best of both worlds with see thru's
Old 03-17-2004, 08:05 PM

get rid of those things. your cheek will not sit on the stocl properlly like others have said. i like to have my scope as close to the barrel as possible.
if your shots are gonna be that close in brush just go with a lower powered scope or just iron sights. i have found in my personal experience that i would get worse groups witht he scope up high like that than when it was closer to the barrel.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I got rid of the see-thru on the 270 . A small punch and a tap or two was the ticket for the lock-tite. I still have a marlin with see thru that I will keep them on as I have several 336's. I really appreciate all the input from everybody, ya'll are a real sourse of good info. I'll be mounting my scope with a leo rail and mounts. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:58 AM

The truth of the matter, the closer you keep your scope to the barrel,the better, the more accurate the gun will be,it is a matter of preference,kinda like which females are the best to look at,redheads or blonds,or brunets.It is your choice!!!!!!!!!