Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .17HMR and Coyotes >

.17HMR and Coyotes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17HMR and Coyotes

Old 03-14-2004, 11:23 PM

Default .17HMR and Coyotes

hey all i was gonna buy a .22-250 this winter but got laid off work and cant afford it now. and after missing a couple yotes with my shotgun/slugs im gettin pretty frustrated as the bush im trying to shoot yotes in is where i hunt deer, turkey, waterfowl and small game and dont want the yotes to get anymore critters i want...found remains of 4 turkeys from jan1 - march 1st....

so....i was thinking of getting a 17hmr as id also use it for jackrabbits, crows, squirrells, etc. in the bush where i call (i never try to get them to come into the fields...maybe i should once) the farthest shot would be 75-80 yards.

i was thinkin that under 100 yards the hmr would work but i was wonderin what u guys think. if i do get an hmr where would be the best place to shoot a coyote? i was thinkin heart/lungs but then i hear they r very accurate then i was thinkin headshot...but then i was also thinkin these bullets r sopose to fragment real bad and maybe they wouldnt penetrate a coyotes skull...

i already got a 6x scope that ill put on it if i get it.

thx for the help everyone

ch312
Old 03-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .17HMR and Coyotes

Have a good look at the NEF handi rifle in .22 Hornet or .223 Both these might be a little better for those c'yotes.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd opt for more firepower. The 17HMR is quick and flat shooting, but is poor in the penetration department. I've shot mine into several things....phone books, stumps, salt blocks...and was impressed with everything but the penetration.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:07 AM

I agree with those posters above. The 17hmr is a great little round, but I prefer more harrumph for yotes. Conversly, when using a shotgun for 'yotes, I have found high velocity steel shot works better than anything else I have tried. Using BBB or T shot and long 3.5" shells I feel comfortable shooting out to 50 yards and would try shots another 10 yards further if all felt right with the world. I have used a 10 and a 12 gauge in 3.5" and find no difference in terminal performance. My 10 happens to pattern slightly better with extra large shot.

Also, I second the notion of a NEF Handi-Rifle. Accuracy all out of proportion to the price, and the price is very nice.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:40 AM

have some respect for the coyote, dont use anything smaller than a .223
Old 03-15-2004, 11:44 AM

thx for the replies everybody...

i was just think of the hmr cuz id use it for squirrells, crows, jackrabbits, fox and a few coyotes...i just figured id get more use from the hmr than a centerfire...but then again i already got a .22 that shoots 1/2inch at 50 yards....

wuts a good group for a .22lr at 50 yards? tell me yer experiences with what gun and after a few posts ill tell ya what .22lr i have....

as for the centerfires....i was gonna wait till summer time and get a saavage 12fv and pimp it out...heh....i figured id just wait to get a good centerfire and get a good bipod, elite 3200, paint it camo, all that stuff...instead of gettin a cheaper one now and just sellin it in a few months....

but....i guess if the single shot rifles shoot good enuf id just keep that....

i was thinkin of an NEF or H&R ultra....wuts the prices of these in CANADA??? i havent seen any of these in stores or on websites in canada...help me find them and i could buy one....

thx for the help

ch312
Old 03-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

CH312...At 50yds with a 22 long rifle, you should pretty much be able to shoot consistent 1/2" groups with a good gun and a reasonable scope.

I can take a $119 Marlin model 60 and a $40 Bushnell and shoot groups at or less than 1/2" at 50yds...I just helped a buddy's son do just that.

We did have to play with the ammo a touch...but it worked out in the end.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:15 PM

Hey now, my old marlin 25n .22lr will do that with a $30 tasco 4x scope. And I only paid $110 for it. It's hard to find a .22lr that won't shoot that well. Of course if you don't clean it, after a while it shows.

Yeah, I'd have to say I'd go .223 for 'yotes like that.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:41 PM

If you are on a budget, get a NEF in 223 or 243. Walmart sells them for under 200 dollars here.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 AM

walmart in ontario dont sell ANY firearm besides pellet guns so i cant go there and buy.....

its ****ty here...i have only found 2 stores that carry nef's and h&r's and the handi rifle runs for $400....so if i wait i can pay an xtra $300 and get a savage 12fv....

but i really like the look of the h&r ultra varmint.....how do they shoot?

as for the .22...its a bolt action single shot (noplace for a clip so its shoot, then throw another in and shoot, etc) that has no name on the barrel...only stamped .22lr and my dad got it from a guy for a 12pack of molson canadain....

got the 6x bushnell scope for $10 from some guy....

not too bad i guess....like $25 for a gun and scope that shoots 1/2 inch groups all day....

i wonder if walmart US would ship a gun to me? how would i go about gettina gun ove rthe border? i heard its a pain and a bunch of BS...maybe i should just go across and ide it in the car since they neevr check on the way back to canada anyways

ch312

Quick Reply: .17HMR and Coyotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.