Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Feeding problems in 1911 clone >

Feeding problems in 1911 clone

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Feeding problems in 1911 clone

Old 03-07-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Feeding problems in 1911 clone

I just purchased a new Century Chief .45 ACP and a Wilson combat magazine to go with the original (both are 7 shot clips) that came with the gun. I have cleaned the gun repeatedly, but I am still having problems with the gun feeding properly. Every third shell will not feed at all, the slide just hangs up like the magazine is empty. But if I press the slide release lever, the shell loads fine. And on top of that, the last round feeds into the barrel, but the slide will not seat all the way forward or "lock up" so to speak. I have to usually play with it a little to get it to seat properly. This happens with both the factory clip that came with the gun and the Wilson combat. I have tried hollow points and full metal jackets and its the same no matter what.

Can someone please tell me what is going on with this gun, I don't want to take it back to the gunsmith if possible but this is a brand new $400 gun, I don't think I should have feeding problems without even having put 100 rounds through it.

Thanks for any imput.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Feeding problems in 1911 clone

pyral you mit whant to try a differnet brand of ammo and make sure you push the rond all the way to the back of the magazin my 1911 will do the same thing if I don't laod the magazin just rigth if that don't work gep a nother magazin and try it you my just have gotin some bad clip's good luck
Old 03-07-2004, 04:39 PM

The problem you're having is not all that uncommon with 1911 style pistols. There are numerous things that could be the culprit. Have you tried hand cycling it to check the ends of the bullets? Your feed ramp could be too short causing both hollow points and FMJ ammo to catch just a bit and not feed properly. Of course, the ramp may need to be polished also. And the gun may just need to be broken in. Since the gun only cost $400.00 new, I would think you may just need to shoot it alot and get the parts loosened up. Some guns in this price range are similar to the original 1911 in that they aren't made with the tight tolerances of the more expensive guns like Kimber, Ed Brown, Wilson, etc. And for most of them to work properly, they need to be very loose. If it doesn't rattle like a 1950's sedan, it's not going to work right. Once the parts all start to loosen up some, it should start working better. The Kimbers et al don't do this but they are made with much more attention to detail. Thus their 800.00 + price tags. And even they can have some problems until they are broken in.

I don't think I should have feeding problems without even having put 100 rounds through it.
It isn't even broken in yet. Keep shooting it. IF it doesn't start working right after you've shot another 100 rounds or so thru it, then consider having it look at by a competent 'smith.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:49 PM

Probably still needs some break-in. Another thing you can try is to bend the magazine lips SLIGHTY, either apart or together and see if that helps. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it makes it worse. Test it first by hand cycling the action with live ammo, but be carefull. Slowly let the slide closed and watch the round as it strips from the clip into the chamber. Another thing, don't let those mags drop like they do in the movies, if it lands on the lips they will bend, and then you end up with feeding problems. I'm not saying that mags are the only thing that could be causing it, but it has in my experience been the most common.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the Pistol have a warranty? MAybe send it back to the company for repairs?
I would keep shooting it until you have 500 rounds through it, then take it to a smith if there are still problems.
Can you return the pistol to the dealer (doubtful but worth a try if you aare unhappy with it) If so, get a springfield milspec 1911- they can be had for about the same price, have a lifetime waranty, and tend to work really reliably.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:32 PM

I appreciate the replies guys, I have tried hand cycling both full clips and never once had a single round hang up. And I have inspected the fronts of the bullets and I can't see anything that would show any kind of deformation or catching when loading. Also, I have done this several times and I am still a little puzzled. I will try and put a few more boxes through it and see if it settles a little.

Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a dumb question for you, but is the slide lubed? Running it dry might cause malfunctions? Just thinking out loud.[:-]
Old 03-08-2004, 04:57 PM

Yeah, its lubed up. That was the first thing I did when I got the gun was strip it down and give everything a once over with some Hoppe's #9. I went and bought a few different brands of ammo and I am going to go and shoot tomorrow and see if anything changes with the different brands. Worth a shot anyways.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

but this is a brand new $400 gun, I don't think I should have feeding problems without even having put 100 rounds through it.
Sounds like a slide release problem, but I'd make 'em fix it! You paid for a gun that is obviously not up to specs, and the dealer or manufacturer should make it right! Does it have any sort of a guarantee??

give everything a once over with some Hoppe's #9.
Hoppe's No. 9 IS NOT a lubricant!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Just a guess: Is the re-coil spring stiff enough.
Another guess is the last lower priced 1911 I bought I was told by the manufacturer it would feed only ball ammo.(after I had some feeding problems)

Quick Reply: Feeding problems in 1911 clone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.