Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Use "Solids" On Everything? >

Use "Solids" On Everything?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Use "Solids" On Everything?

Old 03-04-2004, 01:32 AM

Default RE: Use "Solids" On Everything?

I agree that Barnes X bullets are great penetrators and leave a pretty "ragged" wound channel if your rilfe has the velocity to open them up. One could run into a challenge if one is using X Bullets designed for a higher velocity rifle in a lower velocity rifle. -- say 500gr Barnes X designed for an impact speed of 2100-2600 fps in a 458WinMag or Lott or 460 and drop it into a 45-70 at say 1500fps then one is taking the bullet outside it's design specifications and it may or may not function as advertised. I noticed the "power" bullets Barnes promotes for the 45-70 don't look like the Barnes X bullets, even the pointed ones have lead showing (I assume to help them open up at 45-70 speeds).

Of course if one uses a non-spec Barnes X and they don't open up all, then one certainly has an sexy, attractive looking de facto solid. All loaded up, they would look pretty with a handful laying out along side a bulk plastic ammo box next to a Ruger No. 1 at the bench rest station. I'm sure it would make for some conversation and like with Garrett, some great penetration if that is the sole and entire name of the game.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-04-2004, 10:16 AM
DM

There ARE tougher bullets out there than the Nosler partitions, but they also are less "forgiveing" than NP's when you are a bit "over gunned" for the specie, or when the velocity falls off a bit. In other words, the NP's have worked at a larger spread of velocities for me!!

For example: I have a Drilling in cal. 8x57jrs that i handload 200 grain Nosler partitions in. I drive the bullets just over 2,500 fps, and they easily shoot under 1" (5) shot groups at 100yds in this gun. 200 grain NP's are the only bullet, or bullet weight i shoot in this drilling, and i've hunted all over Alaska, and in some of the lower 48 states with this combo. This means that this 200 grain bullet "has" to perform in many different sizes of animials at varried velocities!!

With this load, i've shot everything from a coyote at long range, a javoilna at 30 yards, a big bull moose at 150+ yds, several deer at 50 to 200 yds, and even a "very big" blk bear at 20 yds, not to mention many other game animials!! In ALL cases the NP's performed perfectly, with "some" expansion, but still held together to make a good exit wound even at close ranges and in tough animials!!!

The "other" premium bullets i've used, have also done quite well at medium to high velocoty, but as the velicity started to fall off, or the target size got smaller in size, the bullets started acting like solids. This is NOT what i like to see a bullet do.

For me, the Nosler partitions have worked well in the the many calibers i've tried them in, and so i continue to use them. As i said in my last post, they do "exactly" what i want my bullets to do!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use nosler partitions a lot as well. I love the barnes bullets but sometimes I get lazy and just plain don't feel like going through the hassel of cleaning the excess copper. You right about the partition, even if the front comes off it does its damage and penetrates very well.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:30 PM

I have skimmed through and not say that it would work in every situation. So hear it goes and I'll say it is. If you are confident with your marksmenship than I don't see why you wouldnt.

E.X.#1 Head shot-No damage to meat, or antlers and drops them in their tracks.

E.X.#2 Neck or spine shots-Not much damage to meat and drops them in their tracks.

The other side to this is it may not be legal, requires very hard precise shots and it IS DANGEROUS to others.

IMO don't do it. Thats my $.05 EKM