Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning A-Bolt >

Browning A-Bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning A-Bolt

Old 02-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Browning A-Bolt

I could not stand it any more. I bought my sons 308 Browning A-bolt Stalker a while back. He had it for four or five years and never shot it once. So it was still new. I bought it just after the deer season last year so I had never fired it either. Today it got up past thirty degrees and though the wind was blowing about twenty MPH I decided to give it a try. The first three shots out of the barrel was a 1 1/4 inch group at 100 yards. These were factory 150 grain corlokts. I was pretty happy with that as I didn't have a very good sand bag set-up and could never get real steady in the wind. I also shot three shots thruogh the new Remington Pump. This group was 1 3/4 inch three shot. Again not bad for the condidtions. Those were 150 grain Factory WW power points. That did it the wind was cutting through me by then. At least I broke the ice.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt

The 308 has a deserved reputation for acuracy. I bought a beat up mosberg model 8a(the only model that looks good) had it reblued and the stock was so bad I had to use bondo to fill the dings. I painted it and off to the range we went. my favorite reloads are 168gr hornady bthp match with 47.5 gr of 4350 shooting 2500fps. after getting used to the trigger and all it shot a .95, .75, 1.3, then the all sought after .50. Not counting the scope I only had $120 into the rifle. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:43 PM

Hey James,

I can't figure it out........ Are you bragging about having the two "new" rifles to shoot? Or complaining about getting to shoot them so little?

I'm jealous!

Dave
Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

My only complaint has been the weather. Its been so cold and windy here in North Dakota. Even a dedicated shooter can just take about so much. That new 260 has yet to be fired too. Its down in Aberdeen SD at the gunsmith. Had to get the trigger done on it. I don't know what to think of this Browning trigger. Its not bad but Its only my second browning. The first was a BLR in 7mm08. I sold that one though. It shot factory loads well but never would handle reloads well. Now I have to start reloading. I am Going to try the 150 GR Nosler Ballistic tip in both to start. I have a bag of bulk 150 gr 308 bullets but I can't remember if they are Remington or Winchester.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:16 PM

North Dakota......isn't that in the arctic circle somewhere? I've got the perfect scope for that 308. it's the springfield 6x with the bullet drop compensator. Intersting note is the load they recomend to match the compensator happens to be the most acurate in my gun. I should add that the federal gold medal match ammo shoots as good as any of my reloads.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea. Its been a cold one even for here. Right now I have my Old Redfield Tracker 2x7 scope on it. I have had that scope since about 1973. I will be lost if it ever gives out. If I had a time machine I would go back and get a dozen more of those. I quess it cast about 85 dollars back then.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:03 AM

james B..

i have found the browning series of firearms shoot very very very well. try some sierra gameking's soft point boattails. i get awsome accurcay with my medallion without the boss chambered in 30-06sprg topped off with a variX-II 3-9x40MM. 1.080" AT 100yds.fine for what i want to do.
i never turned back and buy only browning firearms now. the other gun i find shoots awsome is my savage model 10 FCM " scout " rifle which seems to be discontinued now would shoot just as good.
i always anted the original redfield scope. because i liked them better than leupold's an would take them over a leupold anyday. but after they went belly up and i believ nikon took them over ( not completly sure if it is nikon )
Old 02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

James lets us know how the 260 does,I have one in a rem bdl and it shoots little tiny groups @100,went with a guy last week to shoot his 300 ulta mag and took the 260 along got a 3.1 in group @400 yds with it.
Shot his ultra and does it shoot.He let me shoot it at 300 &400 yds at a 1in dot,at both yds I hit the right side of the dot at both yds.He put a rock about the size of a half pint jar at 400 and told me to hit it ,I saw the rock splatter when I shot.
I have a browning in the 270 wsm also,and it shoots some fine groups also.It is the stalker and the trigger can be adjusted,set mine down to 2lbs.
The weather here is bad too with about 8 inches of snow,sure will be glad when we get some decent weather to shoot in
Old 02-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will have to check and see if my Browning has an adjustable trigger. Quilly. I have one of those Savage Scout rifles as well. Mine is a 7MM-08.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jamesb ...the adjustment screw on the Browning trigger is there only to tease you...take it to a good gunsmith and he'll remove the overrride and it will adjust beautifully.

Quick Reply: Browning A-Bolt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.