Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .17 HMR What do you think? >

.17 HMR What do you think?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 HMR What do you think?

Old 02-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Default .17 HMR What do you think?

What do you think of the .17 rifles?
Old 02-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .17 HMR What do you think?

At first I could see no use for the thing but the more I hear about it the more I think it has some application for long range small game hunting. The 22 Mag fills about the same nich but the 17 is faster and flatter. I may get one of the NEF rifles in that caliber. I have read a lot of reports on the 17 in the NEF and its a fine accurate little rifle. If you don't mind single shots.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:55 AM
DM

The .17 rim fires may be faster and flatter than the 22 win mag, but the wind affects it "more" too. AND, at longer ranges where the velocity falls off on the .17, the heavier weight of the 22 gives it better killing power.

I'm NOT against the .17, but in the REAL world, it's just not that much better than the 22 win mag., and in some cases, it's not even as good!!

Drilling Man
Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fast, flat, accurate, and explosive. I love this round and think its just awsome. Its a longe range small game round though, dont go trying to use it on coyotes Some people claim to kill coyotes with it but I think its just to small to gurantee a humane kill.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Host of Hosts

I like mine alot.... It is far more accurate than any .22 mag I ever owned or had the oppourtunity to shoot.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:54 PM

Can't remember where, but I remember reading something about the BC and SD of the 17gr bullet were such that it was not effected as much as the 22mags? I think it was in an issue of Rifle Magazine? I'll see if I can find it!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:00 PM

I picked up the Savage 17 rimfire and think it's one fine shooter. Out of the box the rifle shot as well if not better than most higher priced rifles I have.
Polack