Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 most accurate 9mm >

most accurate 9mm

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

most accurate 9mm

Old 02-01-2004, 10:58 AM

Default most accurate 9mm

just currious wich 9mm production pistol you guys think has the best accuracy out of the box
i've owned a wittness and have shot rugers and sigs. for me the ruger was the best or i had a very good day at the range.
thinking of guns like hk bretta, kahr, etc.
i love my 45 and won't ever get rid of them but i want something around the house that my wife can shoot too.
gife me your thoughts
thanks
ben
Old 02-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: most accurate 9mm

Glocks are pretty accurate but If I had to bet on one it would be the Sig followed closly by the HK. I had a single colume S&W 39 something that was very accurate but not all the Smiths that I have had were that way. The most accurate Semi Auto I ever owned was the full size Glock in 10MM. However thats a big gun to handle for small hands.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to say SIG as well. You can't beat they're design and engineering. Just about all of the high-end european makes shoot exceptionally well. From my experiences at the bench, I would say 2. H&K, 3. Walther, 4. Glock, 5. Beretta.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

im a sig guy myself.....been shooting them since i was about 12.......
Old 02-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Glocks,Sigs,Rugers and HK's are all accurate guns and reliable.I don't have much use for a 9mm.I much rather have the 40S&W over a 9mm.The most accurate depends on several things. The ability of the shooter. How it fits the person. The ammunition used.The trigger pull etc.I've seen people shoot and couldn't hit anything. Take the same gun and someone knocks the X out of the target.Is that gun accurate half the time? I don't think so.My suggestion is take your wife and let her feel and hold different guns. What might fit you well might feel terrible to her.Then once you get the gun practice.If you know someone who owns a 40 cal see if your wife can handle the small amount of extra recoil from that cartridge..I think it's a much better round for protection then the 9.
Ruger Redhawk.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:37 PM

sounds good guys
i've looked at the sgis and i liked what i saw
we'll see what the wife thinks
she has said she likes the walthers but i thinks she likes them because she likes bond movies
i know there are many factors for accuracy but your input helps alot
thanks
ben
Old 02-01-2004, 03:51 PM

Hi ugly dog,

Does your wife have any experience shooting handguns at all? You might want to give her a try on one of your .45's. (Actually a single stack magazine in .45 tends to fit smaller hands better than double-stacked 9's.) I've known quite a few women that have no trouble at all......handling a .45.

If she hasn't had any, or very little, experience shooting handguns.....you might want to consider a decent .22LR pistol. A good rimfire pistol can be had for about half or so of a good centerfire pistol....provides a lot of cheap non-intiminating practice.....and from that your wife might make a transition very easily to a .45.

If you'd just like to pick up a nine for the sake of having one....the Ruger and Taurus offer a lot for the money!

Good luck on your decision!

Dave
Old 02-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea Money wise I think Ruger has the best price amoung the good quality guns. My wife has pretty big hand so she can shoot any of them. She is an excellent shot with anything she picks up. She does not however shoot shotguns. I have had a lot of Rugers. All but one shot pretty well. My Favorite though is the Sig 220.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:28 PM

Ak Bound
my wife shoots a little but just dosen't like the recoil of a 45
she shoots the labels off tin cans with a 22 but when we moved back to the city i told her we were going to get something bigger that she can shoot

red hawk
i'm looking at 9mms because i want something that is cheep to shoot
40s are more expensive right?
plinker for me bigger than a 22 for her
Old 02-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now what is your real purpose for getting this handgun? Target shooting/recreation, or are you looking for a defensive (combat) pistol for your wife?

The reason I ask is because most of the semi-auto's made by the big names are NOT going to be suberbly accurate, nor are they designed to be. They are designed for use as defensive combat weapons. The first and most important attribute of a defensive pistol is RELIABILITY...NOT accuracy, and that is what they are most focused on. Doesn't matter how accurate a handgun is if it doesn't go bang when you really need it to. Since most defensive pistol encounters happen at 25 yards or less, with the average being 7 yards (21ft), these pistols don't NEED to be one hole shooters anyway. The vital frontal area of a typical human is about 8" across and 10" tall, not even counting the head and neck, and all of the production semi-auto's are more than accurate enough to shoot into that area every time at 25+ yards.

Now, if all she is going to do with it is punch paper at the range, why not get her a nice .22 pistol to plink with. The Ruger Mk II and the Browning Buckmark both are very nice semi-auto .22LR's that are also well known for their accuracy. There are also a number of .22LR revolvers out there that don't cost much and would be a ton of fun at the range. I'd look at the Ruger Single Six's.

I, personally, am a Glock man myself. I wouldn't give up my Glock 21 (45ACP) for the world, and I'd take it to hell and back if I had to. I've carried and shot Beretta 92's (M9) in the service and never liked them. I've owned a H&K USP 45, which was an awesome gun, but I never cared for the fit or feel of the gun in my hands. The Glock just fits most naturally in my hand and I shoot the best with it.

And don't let anyone tell you that there is anything wrong with 9mm as a defensive caliber. There are tons of people who swear that the .45ACP is the best thing since sliced bread for a defensive semi-auto, and the 9mm/45ACP debate will go on until the laser pistols become the standard. But the truth is that a 9mm with a good modern JHP is right on the heels of the best .45ACP loads for performance. It's also much more pleasant to shoot, perticularly in a compact pistol.

Decide what you (and she) need in terms of purpose and performance, then get the pistol that she likes the best and is most comfortable with.

Mike

Quick Reply: most accurate 9mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.