Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How do you clean an "Ole Cruddey Gun" ? >

How do you clean an "Ole Cruddey Gun" ?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you clean an "Ole Cruddey Gun" ?

Old 01-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you clean an "Ole Cruddey Gun" ?

My brother just recently gave me a pistol my dad had from a long time ago, its an H&R-22 model 929 from what I can make out, not worth much money wise but it has been neglected as far as maintaince goes and has pitted the bluing and deposits of some scum/crud on it but the inside of the barrel is exceptionally cleaned, it hasn't been shot in decades as everything appears to operate well. My question is where/how do I start cleaning or soaking it in something in order to restore it so that I can bring it back to life as I would think it would be good for popping some grouse up here, thanks Bobby
Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How do you clean an "Ole Cruddey Gun" ?

Check out this website. www.cylinder-slide.com and look at the Dunk Kit. All you have to do is remove your grips and soak the entire gun for 15 minutes. You can scrub the stubborn spots with a toothbrush and soak again. This is the fastest and easiest way to clean a neglected firearm.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats some pretty pricey stuff Super pig, that stuff cost more than the guns worth so what I'm going to do is just soak it in solvent and the use remington telplon spray and a tooth brush. thanks, Bobby
Old 01-29-2004, 12:23 PM

Check out Blue Wonder Novum solutions is the name of the company. A little goes a long way!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

For a cheap fix you could try taking off the grips, and polising the outside with 00 steel wool to remove the surface rust and use some type of cold blueing like Birchwood Caseys. For the bore and cylinders, check your local gun shop for JB compound or you can buy it over the internet. This is a barley paste with fine abrasives in it made especially for firearms. Just follow the instructions on the jar.
Hope it helps.
ps: This stuff brings the accuracy back to your old rifle barrels too as it removes those small build-up of copper that just dont seem to want to come out with the usual cleaning. Just don't get too agressive with it or u can round the lands of the rifling.