Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how clean is clean? >

how clean is clean?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how clean is clean?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default how clean is clean?

I am cleaning my new rifle and I can't get the patches to come out white.There is still some grey streaks on them. I know I am new to rifles and I still have alot to learn.This is just worlds different from my rimfires or shotguns. How clean is clean?

I have made several passes with my cleaning kit. Everytime I get the same results. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I put solvent on and let it sit for an hour or I run the brush through right away,it doesn't make a difference. Helpme please.

[/align]
Old 06-23-2007, 07:28 PM

Default RE: how clean is clean?

This may sound like a dumb and obvious question, but does your solvent leave color on the patch before you ever run it?

I've made simpler mistakes in my days haha.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]yes but it is a light grey. What I am talking about is charcole grey streaks and the rest of the patch is white.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once I think the gun is clean, I always pull my bolt out and look down the barrel. If you cant see anything in there then run a lightly oiled patch and put'er away.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

how many clean, dry patches are you running?? clean patches will come out pure white...thats when i stop...also..clean and dry the action out first if your not...could be getting solvent and stuff in the action and picking it up with the dry patches...i clean the bore with solvent...then dry the action out good...then i dry the bore with clean dry patches...they come out white for me when im done...if not your liable to havea flyer from the solvent and oil left in the bore with your first shot or couple shots...all depends on your rifle...some are fussy..some are not...

i recently started using outers foaming bore cleaner...i'll tell you what...i dont know if i'll ever mess with solvents again! that stuff works and is stupid simple to use...fill the bore, wait, dry patches till they come out white and your done...i really like it....solvent wouldnt get the copper out of my 22-250...but the outers does....
Old 06-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm.... that outer's sounds good, I might try it sometime.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

younggun...id definently give it a try...i been cleaning guns since i could...dad would shoot them and bring them home for me to clean...good learning...taught me about guns at an early age...ive tried alot of solvents...ive actually quit using them and just use oil on a brush and on patches...seemed to work just as good as solvents i tried...without the smell. but i had copper troubles with my 250 and someone here recommended the outers...it got out all the copper...and was super easy to use...spray it down the bore, let sit a half hour and dry patch it...now im going to try some of the black powder version in the flintlock this season....if it works that well for copper im sure BP will come right out...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you actually spray it down the barrel? And the barrel gets full of foam? I guess it would be a good idea to get the bolt out and push the cleaning rod out the barrel, instead of down the barrel, so that it doesn't get foam in the action and magazine.

I sure hope it comes with instructions.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

You should be pushing the cleaning rod from the breech end regardless of solvent. This helps to minimize damage to the crown of the barrel. Only push a rod down the muzzle if the gun can not be cleaned from the breech.

Quick Reply: how clean is clean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.