Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

elk hunters

Old 01-27-2004, 05:10 PM

Default elk hunters

here in virginia we have very few elk. i think this year there were 20 killed. if you live out west i bet it is a thrill. i here there are alot of elk out there. my father went to billings for his company emats. he said he seen 2 fighting. does any body have any good places or outfitters to recommend. thank you. please reply
Old 01-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: elk hunters

Try NM. We have some of the best Elk Hunting around. You will need to put in for a draw hunt. Or use one of the thousand guid services located here. I think it is to late to put in for Arizona. No matter what you do, shure hope your in shape. Their tends to be alot of walking involved.

Good Luck.
Leroy.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't bother coming to WA. Nothing is legal but spike bulls without a special (read:near impossible to get) permit.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

270 win., you should probably post this question on the big game forum. You'd probably get more responses there since that's what we talk about there.

Power, what are the powers that be thinking with a plan like that?

That goes against every single game management program I have ever heard of. Why in the world would a wildlife department want to kill the bulls off before they reach maturity? Here we have a 4 point minimum in most of the GMU's. It keeps the young bulls protected and allows them to grow up and breed.

I think you guys need to get some new people to run the show around there.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:30 PM

Virginia elk herd has been started by the state of Kentuky and Virginia has a no close seson on Elk thay clam that thay dont wont Elk in there state for the fer of CWD I think that is bull sh-- KY has bee stoking Elk 6 yaes and not one case has bee fund I think thay sould let the Elk be and whin that get a start the state can sell the tags for a elk that did not cost them a penny thats my two cese on that dill
Old 03-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Coming from another Ky hillbilly, I'll have to agree with ya. Its ashame that our DNR has put all of this money into restoring our elk population and then Va goes and has an open season on them. It just don't seem fair. No offense intended toward you 270win.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Power, what are the powers that be thinking with a plan like that?

That goes against every single game management program I have ever heard of. Why in the world would a wildlife department want to kill the bulls off before they reach maturity? Here we have a 4 point minimum in most of the GMU's. It keeps the young bulls protected and allows them to grow up and breed.

I think you guys need to get some new people to run the show around there.
No kidding. It's so screwed up, they do the opposite for deer. 3 point min. for any bucks. I don't know what they are thinking. Something about only the mature bulls do most of the breeding so they are thinking the ones that make it through do help the population. Not sure if that holds true then what about the deer?