Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Vanguard >

Weatherby Vanguard

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Vanguard

Old 01-26-2004, 09:03 PM

Default Weatherby Vanguard

Any feedback on these rifles? Positive or negative.

I'm considering the synthetic/stainless model. For the money....it looks like a good buy.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Weatherby Vanguard

The vanguard is simply a howa rifle with the weatherby name stamped on it.It is a very well made gun for the price.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's not a thing wrong with them...but like so many other things, they just ain't what they used to be. I loved the old Vanguards. Had one in 22-250 and let it go. [:@]
Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Weatherby does not currently manufacture it's own guns.They contract them out to be built by other companies.Howa supplies the vanguards and has also supplied the same rifles to mossberg and smith & wesson for a period.The same rifles are also sold under the howa name.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Weatherby Vanguard is a solid rifle. Go to www.weatherby.com . Good luck.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not a Vanguard but my Howa 1500 varminter is probably the nicest gun in my safe. The 1500 has been marketed under the S&W and Weatherby and Mossberg names. I would not hesitate to buy another Howa over a Remington or Winchester. The only thought I would have to give is to what caliber to buy.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:29 AM

i just got one in 270. i couldnt be happier. good luck
Old 01-29-2004, 02:06 PM

I have a Weatherby Vanguard VGX chamberd in 300wby mag and i love this gun. It had a brake on it when i bought it and it could not fit in my gun case so i took it off. So it kick a bit harder who cares. It is a good rifle from a good manufacturer that has a CRAPPY customerservice over the internet[:@]

Why??

I have tryed for about a year now to get a catalog from them but with no luck[:@] So if there is a employie from weatherby reading this(when he should be working) SEND ME MY CATALOG.

Anyway good guns!![:-]

Regards from snowy Iceland,
Ice
Old 01-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

As stated by others it is simply a Howa Model 1500 stamped Weatherby Vanguard. The plus is Weatherby's spec is a 24" barrel. Whereas if you buy the Howa it has a 22" in standard calibers and a 24" in magnum calibers. The plus in buying the Vanguard is that since it's stamped Weatherby it's covered by the Weatherby accuracty guarantee. This is 3 shots in 1.5" using premium ammo. I have an older Vanguard in 25-06 and it will consistently shoot 3/4" at 100 yards using Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips 115 gr. I also load a max load of H4831 and a 117 gr. Sierra Boattail for deer. I have some groups that have measured as small as 1/4" at 100 yards. Over the chrony I get 3019 fps out of a 22" barrel. My Uncle has a Vanguard in 300 Weatherby and with Weatherby factory 180 gr loads his rifle will group 3 right at 1". This is the first and only load he has tried. He said 1" is good enough for him. By looking at the whitetail, mulies, pronghorn, & elk he has taken it should be good enough for anybody.

So, other than the rifle weighing a little more than i like 7-3/4 lbs. I really haven't found any reason to complain. The fit and finish of my rifle is better than the 4 Remington 700's that I own.

Quick Reply: Weatherby Vanguard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.