Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me >

.308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Old 01-13-2004, 06:16 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

All in you head man. When I was younger, I used to pick pepper out of ant crap over such topics. Fact is, you hit em in the heart with a muzzleloader, shotgun, or a 308, they are going down. With 150gr loads, I run neck and neck with the 30-06. but the 30-06 always wins by a nose. Of course anything over 150gr, the 30-06 runs off very quickly. You got to ask yourself "how is this possible", "is 100fps really that more effective".

Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 AM

Hi Huntsalotey,

The killing power in both the .30-06 and the .308 is as close to identical as it is possible to be. I have killed a couple handfuls of deer with the .30-06....and many more than that with the .308. And have killed them with many other calibers as well. The actions of the animals you have hit....sound very much typical with a deer hit with nearly anything!

I have had deer absolutely drop at the shot. So fast that in the moment it took to bring the recoiling rifle back down....they had disappeared. And I have shot deer that their heart and lungs literally "ran out like liquidfied jello" when you open them up....and have them run up to 100 yards or so after the hit. A lot of it has to do with the "frame of mind" of the animal at the shot. If you catch a deer quietly feeding on acorns for example...they may drop as if "poleaxed" with a lung shot. If you are shooting at a deer that is already pumped up on adrenaline....flat out running through the woods...they may well cover 100 yards or better after the shot, (with their heart shot to pieces). The brain is already oxygenated and can go on for seconds or maybe a minute or so, before it shuts down. And a deer can cover alot of ground in that period of time. (For that matter so can most big game!)

If you like the .308.....continue to use it. Make sure you are using a decent controlled expansion softpoint. (And contrary to what many will tell you on this board. In mid velocity .30 calibers....you do NOT need premium bullets for deer. Just a decent reliable "mid-weight expanding type soft point". One like provided by any of the standard Manufacturer's line. (IE. Corelokts, Power Points, Hi-Shoks, etc.) If you want to spend your money on premiums....that's fine. But not needed for deer in an already sufficient caliber...like a .30).

Good luck...and good hunting...whatever your decision!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:33 AM

I would encourage you to practice a little more with your 308. When reading your original post it appears that you can shoot your 30-06 better than the 308. Some of the hits you made were not in the kill zone. It doesn't matter if what your shooting, if you don't hit the vitals you are going to have a long day. Your 308 will serve you well but remember to practice with it.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

You have answered your own question ! "SHOT PLACEMENT" is key . As far as killing white tail there is no significant difference in these two calibers. I have very few whitetails drop on the spot unless hit in the spine. most boiler room shot deer run 50-100 yds before falling down. That has been my experience. The deer are dead in 10 seconds but can cover a lot of ground in that time.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:14 AM

I'm still sitting here wondering why in the heck would you"walk away to let it die" ?????????? Am I the only one wondering this?!?!??
Old 01-13-2004, 11:49 AM

I have hunted with a .308 760 Remington pump all my life. Great fast woods gun. 30 - 35 or so in the bag and never had a deer even move on me when I shot it. Never took more than one shot at a deer except my very first. Call it insurance. Usually prefer neck shots but have also used the front shoulder with the same outcome. Drop on the spot and the farthest was out about 280 yds. Of course, I make sure it is sighted in each year with the ammo I'm going to use and I seldom take an iffy shot.... so that helps. Sounds like your scope was off or you didn't have a good rest. Most caliburs would perform the same in those circumstances. If you've prepared properly, I usually find (myself included)......It's usually not the arrow.....it's the Indian.

I am looking for a new toy and havng this calibur makes it hard to rationalize the need. Of course, I'm telling my wife there is a world of difference, and I absolutely need a .300 or 7MM

Absolutely nothing bad to say about it!
Old 01-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: griller

I have hunted with a .308 760 Remington pump all my life. Great fast woods gun. 30 - 35 or so in the bag and never had a deer even move on me when I shot it.

Absolutely nothing bad to say about it!
30+ deer dead on the spot!
That is one heck of a record. I have shot deer with a 30-30, .270, and .50 cal. muzzleloader, and have only had 3 deer die on the spot. Two were with my 30-30. I know people who hunt with .06's and 7 mags, and even a .300 mag, and even they usually have deer make a 30-50yd. run after being hit in the vitals. I would say that the .308 is better than all the ones I mentioned.

C. Davis
Old 01-13-2004, 01:31 PM
bigcountry

Have to agree with you there C. Davis. Quite a record. I even shot a deer thru both lungs with my 300RUM last year at 30 yards, it stepped around 5 steps. Must have magic bullets.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:55 AM

I can't tell you why? Maybe it's the neck shots? I'm always ready for em to go runnin. They just haven't. Probably jinxing myself now. The next one I'll end up tracking for miles and be cursing the day I shared that information. -Mike
Old 01-14-2004, 11:56 AM

Oh....and I use 150 Silver Tips. Nothing fancy.

Quick Reply: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.