HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me
Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 AM
akbound

Default RE: .308's Killing Power as Perceived My Me

Hi Huntsalotey,

The killing power in both the .30-06 and the .308 is as close to identical as it is possible to be. I have killed a couple handfuls of deer with the .30-06....and many more than that with the .308. And have killed them with many other calibers as well. The actions of the animals you have hit....sound very much typical with a deer hit with nearly anything!

I have had deer absolutely drop at the shot. So fast that in the moment it took to bring the recoiling rifle back down....they had disappeared. And I have shot deer that their heart and lungs literally "ran out like liquidfied jello" when you open them up....and have them run up to 100 yards or so after the hit. A lot of it has to do with the "frame of mind" of the animal at the shot. If you catch a deer quietly feeding on acorns for example...they may drop as if "poleaxed" with a lung shot. If you are shooting at a deer that is already pumped up on adrenaline....flat out running through the woods...they may well cover 100 yards or better after the shot, (with their heart shot to pieces). The brain is already oxygenated and can go on for seconds or maybe a minute or so, before it shuts down. And a deer can cover alot of ground in that period of time. (For that matter so can most big game!)

If you like the .308.....continue to use it. Make sure you are using a decent controlled expansion softpoint. (And contrary to what many will tell you on this board. In mid velocity .30 calibers....you do NOT need premium bullets for deer. Just a decent reliable "mid-weight expanding type soft point". One like provided by any of the standard Manufacturer's line. (IE. Corelokts, Power Points, Hi-Shoks, etc.) If you want to spend your money on premiums....that's fine. But not needed for deer in an already sufficient caliber...like a .30).

Good luck...and good hunting...whatever your decision!