Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scout Rifle

Old 01-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scout Rifle

I was looking around at Scheels today and ran across a new Savage scout rifle in 7MM-08. It has a 20 inch pretty heavy barrel but weights just 6.25 lbs. according to the book. It has the Ghost ring rear peep and a high bead blade front sight. It looks like a great walk around the woods and tree stand gun. I can't wait to try it out. Anyone had any expierence with these. It has the forward scope base where the front sight would be. Set up for EER scope. It will however accept the regular 110 Bases is A guy wants to go that way. I am hoping it will shoot well with the peep sight.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:09 AM

Default RE: Scout Rifle

james B...

i have that gun and have owned it since 1998. they no longer make that model anymore.mine is in 308win.
i ended up taking off the weaver rail and rear sight to accomodate my father ( his eye sight ) i put a 1 piece leupold base topped off with low rings and a VX -II 2-7X33mm.
before i took the peep sights off i was getting excellent groups at 100yds and out to 200yds ( hiting coke cans )
i might just try to find another in the 7mm-08rem latter down the road. the only drawback was that it rusts very quick in humid times in the summer. so i had to keep on whippeing her down witha silicone clotht o keep on top of it.
let me know how she shoots.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks. That sounds pretty good. I thought they must have discontinued that model as I could not find it in the Savage catalog. I liked the way those sights line up quick. I only have one other rifle that has sights on and thats a 6.5x55 Swedish Military mauser. If I scope the new Savage I will put a regulat base on it so I don't have to mess with the EER scope. I don't know what I will get for velocity with the 20 inch barrel. but it will most likely be a little lower than a 22 inch model. Did yours come with one or two magazines?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:00 PM

I also have this rifle in the .308. It is a great rifle. The main problem I have with it is the fact that I cant seem to find any spare magazines.