Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which tactical rifle should I buy? >

Which tactical rifle should I buy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which tactical rifle should I buy?

Old 01-09-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Which tactical rifle should I buy?

I am looking for a very accurate tactical rifle, but I do not know which make or caliber I should buy. I am leaning toward a Savage or a Howa. They each have something I like and dislike. The more important question is, which caliber should I buy. I want to accurately hit a minimum of 300 yards. I would also like it to have a hunting purpose. Throw your opinions my way and hopefully it will help.

thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2004, 11:17 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Which tactical rifle should I buy?

Well, thats the first sniper I ever heard suggest a 30-06. But I guess its possible. I am not sure if I ever seen a tactical rifle chambered in a 30-06.

I load for my best friend with a FN A1 in 308Win of course. I highly suggest this rifle. It comes with a chrome lined barrel 1 in 12 twist, a Winchester 70 type claw action, McMillian stock, and badger base. You can get them for around 1300 dollars. Out of the box, with Remington 150gr coreloks, it shot less than 1.1" groups over and over. With Black hills match 168gr, shoots less than .5" all day long and will be guanteeed to this. But I reloaded some 168gr matchkings with 47gr of Varget, and match the blackhills stuff or better. Only problem is this sucker is very heavy. But what you would want out of a tactical rifle. Reason I went with the FN is the chrome lined barrel is a dream. I mean no fouling whatsoever or very little. I can shoot 40 rounds thru it and put wipeout down the barrel and 15min later clean out all powder fouling, and thats it. No copper fouling. You try that with a savage or Howa or remington 700P. It also comes in 300WSM.

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/r_spr_a1.htm

Old 01-09-2004, 11:39 AM

The FN looks and sounds nice. You might want to look at the new Tikka "Tactical" coming out in Feb. also. I have heard that the price should be around $900-$1100. I can't wait to shoot one
Old 01-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, thats the first sniper I ever heard suggest a 30-06. But I guess its possible.
Our snipers certainly taught the Germans a few things about the .30-06 during WW2. Great cartridge, whether modern snipers use it or not.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:13 PM
bigcountry

I guess. How do ya figure. US wasn't know to have a great amount of shooting skills back in the WWII days. Germans terrorized whole platoons with snipers however. At least thats what family says. I wasn't there.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:19 PM
bigcountry

The cleaning of that rifle is what sold me. I shoot a custom 300RUM regularly, and am used to taking an hour to clean out the copper and fouling. So when I started working with this gun seeing how easy that chrome lined barrel cleaned up, I was sold.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:40 PM

"Aught Six" Our snipers certainly taught the Germans a few things about the .30-06 during WW2. Great cartridge, whether modern snipers use it or not

"bigcountry" I guess. How do ya figure. US wasn't know to have a great amount of shooting skills back in the WWII days. Germans terrorized whole platoons with snipers however. At least thats what family says. I wasn't there.

If i rember right a program i wached on the history channel a little while back was talking about WWII recrutes being taught marksmenship to conserve ammo, and when they got out into the field the men that had been fighting told them the exact oppsite. I think one of the quotes i rember is "we can get more ammo easy we cant get more rifelmen."

I don't know to much about tactical rifles but I know that David Tubb is a top competion shooter and i have seen the Tubb 2000 i know it comes in .308 and i think .300 but im not to sure.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of our soldiers believed in the effect of firepower more than marksmanship. Pretty much spray and pray. However, we did have some effective snipers, and the Wehrmacht was surprised at the distances at which we made kills with the old Springfield.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:23 PM
bigcountry

So if you was going with a tactical rifle, would you buy a 30-06?

Quick Reply: Which tactical rifle should I buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.