Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .17 cal. how many mfgrs. and loads? >

.17 cal. how many mfgrs. and loads?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.17 cal. how many mfgrs. and loads?

Old 01-08-2004, 05:49 PM

Default .17 cal. how many mfgrs. and loads?

how many manufacturers are there for the .17 cal.?i have seen the marlin bolt and have heard there are several more.also,how many different loads are there?i am thinking about getting one[don't ask me why].
Old 01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .17 cal. how many mfgrs. and loads?

firearms remington 597, marlin makes two or three different versions of which I have the vs and love it, savage, ruger, nef i think makes one, tauras in a handgun I am also sure there are others but cant think of them right now. As for loads hornady remington and cci all offer ammo cci hollow points hornady in the vmax and i am not sure about remington. Anshultz is another manufacture of a firearm
Old 01-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

3 manufactures for ammo, hornady,cci,remington.
Guns are made many manufactures Marlin (i own the vs and love it), savage,ruger,tauras and smith and wesson make pistols as well as heritage firearms. Remington makes a rifle and CZ and Volquartson do as well. The 17 hummer (hmr) was widely accepted when it first came out and is a commercial success. More and more people are buying hummers all the time.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am thinking about getting one[don't ask me why].
Becuase there realy accurate and a blast to shoot and devasting on small game out to 150 yards or so Ive heard rumors of possibly makeing the 17 shoot a 20gr bullet but so far, its still just a rumor.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:47 AM

thanks for the input guys!i could be wrong,but i thought i saw a 25gr load by rem that i compared the ballistics to a .222.Remington® Express® R17R2 25 Hornady Hollow Point
Old 01-09-2004, 06:24 AM

Federal also has a load out.

Anschutz, CZ, Heritage Arms, S&W and a couple more are also offering guns in .17hmr.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Hey loner I just checked my 2003 remington catalog there 17 hmr is a 17 grain. The 25 grain is for the 17 remington which is a centerfire hope this helps. As for the 17 grain it is plenty for small game. Last Sat took five squirrels four head shots at under 25 yards would take half the head off Then 80 yard shot off hand holding between eyes took him right in the nose suprised me more than the squirrel.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:32 AM

rcw280,thanks for the input.i guess i am more surprised to find there is a .17 cal rimfire AND a .17 cal centerfire.i should have known with the speed of the the 20 and 25 gr bullets,they could not be rimfires.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:04 AM

I have the .17 Remington centerfire-------It is an un believable load!!!
Comes out of the tube at 4,000fps--It is a screamer!!!
My question to you would be what are you going to use it for??? The .17 rimfire is a 150 yard squirrel rifle (moving faster than the 22 Mag but with less energy) and the .17 Remington is a premier varmint cartridge. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing the .17 rimfire BUT comparing these two is like comparing a Geo Tracker to a Chevy Tahoe!! JMHO.
Save the extra dough and get the .17 Rem-you will love it!!!!!!!!!!
Encore28
Old 01-10-2004, 09:30 AM

since i hunt squirrel with a .22 and only take head shots,i would probably use it for that and taking it with me to my fishing holes while using my four wheeler and scouting.it is just one of those 'I WANT' THINGS.i don't varmit hunt but do take a beaver at some of the beaver ponds i fish or a coyote or target shoot.

Quick Reply: .17 cal. how many mfgrs. and loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.