Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which AR-15

Old 02-11-2002, 06:38 AM

Default RE: Which AR-15

Are you set on an AR or are you open to other similar .223 rifles? I had considered getting an AR and as I mentioned before I think Bushmaster is the way to go with that choice but I instead opted for their M-17S Bullpup. It fires .223, accepts all AR/M16 magazines, and in my opinion is much more comfortable to fire.
If you're not familiar with a bullpup or this particular model the trigger assembly is positioned about at the mid point of the firearm. All of the action, including the magazine feed, is behind the trigger assembly. This rifle is one of the most balanced I have ever handled. I have not had a single jam with several hundered rounds of expensive and cheap ammo put through it. It is accurate, comfortable, and above all a real blast to shoot at the range. I have let some buddies of mine try it out and everyone that has tried it seems as impressed as I am.
Just thought I would suggets an alternative. Either way you go, have fun with it.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:38 AM

Armalite's AR-10 is a .308.

I have an AR-10T which is the "flat top" model.

As far as .223's go, go with either an Armalite (Maker of the original AR-15's, before Colt), or with a Bushmaster. You can't go wrong with either one of them. Both have hardchromed barrels and chambers. As far as the Les Baer, or the Wilson, you're gonna spend way too much money. Those guns are basically competition guns, used for sitting at a bench rest all day.

I like practical guns, used for dirty conditions. With the basic HBAR configuration, the Armalite's and Bushmasters are A+.

As far as Olympic arms, screw them. Several years ago, they sold out to the anti gun industry and gave support/endorsement to a campaign in favor of the 1994 crime bill, outlawing magazines over 10 rounds.

Colts would be nice, except their civilian rifles are no longer considered "mil-spec", which makes it difficult for after market parts, let alone original Colt parts, with Colt Mfg. being in disarray nowa days. (When I say "mil-spec", technically there are no true 'Mil-spec' weapons that are 100% mil-spec for the civilian market. It's just that Colt has a few major variations for their civilian sporter rifles internally, unlike all of the other major AR-15 makers. It's too long to go into it here, but that's it in a nut shell).
Old 02-11-2002, 12:25 PM

I'm sorry I obviously had some bad info. I just went to arma-lites website. They have a AR-10 Flattop in .308 for $999,not the 3000 that I thoungt I had seen. And the $1500,well I was thinking of a customized ar that my buddy was selling for about that much. I'm sorry for the bad info.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Host of Hosts

This one is my favorite........

Old 02-15-2002, 05:05 AM

HK45USP: "As far as .223's go, go with either an Armalite (Maker of the original AR-15's, before Colt), "

As a matter of trivia on true Armalite manufactured rifles, I fired a full-auto M16 in USAF basic training back in 1981, manufactured by Armalite, but marked as, "Armalite AR-15". Even way back then, it struck me as unusual.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:58 PM

i stand behind my COLT, i understand what HK45 is saying, differant upper retension pin sizes, etc. and armalite has incredible service and a great web site! , and i truly believe any AR is better than no AR, however no $ of mine will ever pay for any other kind of AR than COLT. my mags r COLT, its COLT! 4 no other reasons than its what i own and i love it! even if theres something better, its COLT. kinda like the anti .270WSM .7mmWSM and .300WSM people, if its new, maybe even better, i want nothing 2 do w/it. its COLT baby! lol
Old 02-17-2002, 05:00 PM

I'll say go with the Armalite. I have an AR-10 in .243 and really like it. It's not the "T" model, but has the stainless barrel and will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with no problem. They're a little pricy, but the quality is very good.
Old 02-18-2002, 12:44 AM

Shakie....Here is a little bit of interesting trivia for you.

Colt AR-15 magazines were predominately made by "UI", which is the "Okay" (magazine makers) company. Colt sub contracted out to have 99% of their magazines made by "UI".

"Okay" made all UI/Simmonds Industries magazines but now produce under their own name. They are the longest running magazine manufacturer in the nation.

"Okay" company is based in New Britain, CT, which is in Hartford County (close to Colt Mfg.) So when you see a AR-15 Magazine samped "Colt" on it, it's a good chance (99%) that it was made by UI (Okay) and not COLT. UI/Okay also made (make) their own line of AR magazine without the "Colt" markings on it.

Another interesting thing about "Colt" stamped magazines is that early Air Force contract 20-rounders circa 1963-1968 have bright alloy followers. Later model "Colt" stamped magazines had dull followers.

Scarce magazines were the ones stamped "Colt Pt. Mfg. Co.Inc." with the prancing pony and "CAL. .223" on the floor plate.

Some AR magazines that are very scarce and are considered more valuable to collectors are marked "Simmonds" or "Adventureline" on the floorplate. Many collectors pay more money for the ones labled "Colt". (Poor fools, hahaha).

The basic rule about "Colt" stamped magazines is that pre-1969 20 round magazines are stamped "CAL.223". Magazines made after 1969 for the 20 rounders are stamped "CAL. 5.56mm"

There is a much longer history and "fact sheet" about "Colt" magazines if you're a collector etc... but it's too lengthy to discuss here in this forum.

Edited by - Hk45USP on 02/18/2002 01:47:21
Old 02-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have got an Bushmaster M-4gery. It looks, shoots and handles great. Really accurate with a nice tight fit. Cost about 850 bucks. A solid gun with a great feel.

Watch "Entertaining Seafood", Sunday,10am on Baltimore's ABC 2
Old 02-22-2002, 03:58 AM

The best for the money....BUSHMASTER