Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Rifles? >

Savage Rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Rifles?

Old 12-23-2003, 05:09 PM

Default RE: Savage Rifles?

I was planning to look for my new rifle in January anyway. If I can find a used Ruger or something I may buy that.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:23 PM

I have a Savage 7mm mag, and I am very happy with it. It shoots extremely tight groups. I have a left hand model, which I love since it is my first rifle that is actually made for me. This is my second season with it, and I have zero complaints. I had a trigger job on mine, but now they have the new trigger which I have heard great things about. I can shoot a three shot pattern under an inch at 100 yds. I have mine sighted in at an inch high at 100 yds, and I took a doe last year at 200yds off hand, and I hit it exactly where I aimed it. Great gun. I didn't get the synthetic stock, and I am happy with mine, but I will probably get a synthetic stock on the next one.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:54 AM
usa
Fork Horn

RINGNECK2, I had the same problem with my safety, it cost me a muley, so I had a gunsmith file the ridges on the safety so that they are sharp and have not had a problem since. I can afford any gun I want , but my savages carry light and shoot straight, they do rust quickly if you don't dry them right after a hunt.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:22 AM

Thanks usa thouth I might need to live with it .I was planning taken it to gun smith after first of year toget trigger cut down a bit .Ill have that done to
Old 12-24-2003, 08:52 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have had absolutely no problewm with the safety on my Savage. Again I would prefer the accutrigger but even without it, I am putting 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Thats with several different brands of inexpensive hunting ammo. I shot some match ammo and it was 1 inch. I picked up the rifle package for $304 a Kmart a couple days after christmas last year. I let a .270 go by at walmart last year. it was only 250 bucks for the package. I should have bought it and stuck it in the gun case for one of my bouys when they are old enough. Live and learn.

David
Old 12-25-2003, 10:34 PM

I got some money for Christmas today and will probably get some more tomorrow. I still saving!
Old 12-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Spike

I bought a Savage 111 package gun from Kmart about 4 yrs ago in .270. Shoots great. Only complaint is the safety, just like some of the others mentioned, it is tough to get too with heavy gloves. Other wise I shoot about 3/4-1" groups at 100yds. These are handloads so its good enough for me. Im sure a better shooter may be able to get them smaller. And that is still with the Simmons 3x9 scope on it that it came with.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just watched short program on TV about Savage. The guy hosting the show went through the factory with the president of the company and built his own 116 .30-06. It was pretty cool stuff. The machines that do the rifling are over 100 years old. When they do the proof testing, they shoot one cartridge that is 130% of normal!. There were no problems at all with that rifle. Pretty amazing!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:58 PM

Where is the saftey located on the Savage rifles? Is it behind the bolt or beside it? I can't see it in any of the pictures.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the tang behind the bolt.

Quick Reply: Savage Rifles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.