Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 8MM Mauser project >

8MM Mauser project

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

8MM Mauser project

Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 8MM Mauser project

A few months ago, I bought a Czech VZ24 8MM Mauser. I had the headspace checked and all was good. I couldn't wait to shoot it, so I bought a box of Rem 170 gr. Core Lokts and had at it. I didn't get very good groups and put the gun away fir a while. I have not had the time to do anything with it until last night. I tore the gun down to nothing. The action and barrel, the stock pieces, all of the sling swivels, bayonet mount- everything.

This gun is filled with crum, grease, and whatever else you can think of to describe one of the nastiest looking guns known. The floor plate for the magazine is stuck shut. All of the exposed metal parts are now silver, not black. The stock has many dings, and is discolored badly.

I have a question about how far I should go in restoring it. Aside from a very thourough cleaning, should I do any more? Should I have the barrel and all metal parts re-blued? What about the stock. I will not modify it at all, but not sure to leave it in as is condition, or to restore it to original condition.

Any help and opinions would be great! Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:10 PM

Default RE: 8MM Mauser project

Just it once with one type of ammo doesn't mean that it is not accurate. Try a couple different types of ammo with it and see what shoots th best. While you have it taken apart have it cleaned really good. Those military surplus rifle can be realy sometimes. Take it to a gunsmith maybe he will know what to do. You could have the barrel free-floated but if you dont want to change it maybe not. I would look on the internet for a new stock. And alot of times the barrels in those guns are shot out.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's been literally thousands of Mauser 98s that have been turned into sporters in quality levels from absolute works of unbelievable art to ...wellllll...unbelievable...

either trade it off for a decent sporter or write to E R Shaw for a quote to install a new bolt handle, new barrel of you choise, drill and tap for mounts, safety alteration and a Timney trigger installed and adjusted to 2.5 pounds. Shaw will do a good job...but it might take a while. Get a new synthetic stock and bed them together.

In the end, I'm betting you'll wish you had bought a new Model 70 rifle.....
Old 12-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not saying that the gun is not accurate. That is just the only time I've done anything with it, and haven't had the time since. I have all the reloading stuff right now, dies, bullets, powder and cases. I just haven't had time.

Vapodog...I have been thinking of doing that also. I will probably wait until I get a chance to see how accurate it is with different loads. It would be nice to do that though. Remember a couple of weeks ago I was asking about the 6.5-06?? This gun is what I had in mind if I can't get it to shoot for crap. This gun was an implulse purchase- The gun, gun check, box of ammo, and a couple cleaning accessories, and tax, came to $86.30, so its not a big loss if it sits in my cabinet for a while. And it is kind of cool to just look at.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the barrel isn't too badly worn, you should be able to get decent accuracy with the 8mm- though it isn't going to happen with rem factory loads which are junk. You wil need to handload to get decent accuracy.
The metal parts that are silver, or 'in the white' as its usually referred to, is probably correct for your vz-24 especially the receiver and barrel.. Alot of Czech made mausers had blued parts, some did not.

Whe3n you put the rifle back together, make sure the barrel does not touch the sides of the barrel channel- its ok for the end of the barrel to touch the stock as it needs 5-10 lbs of upward pressure to shoot correctly. Make sure the front barrel band does NOT touch the barrel at all.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Briman.

One more question. Does anybody know what the rifling twist is on these guns? I was looking down the barrel (from the reciever) and it seems a lot faster than my .30-06's with 1-10" twists. I may need to reload some heavier bullets to get good accuracy.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the twist is 1:9 1/4
Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, just found that out. My Speer number 12 showed them using this same gun for load testing. It is 1:9.5". I looked at ER Shaw. It would cost about $350 to convert the mauser to another caliber, about the cost of a new gun, but I would like to have either a wildcat, or a less popular cartridge, and he does chamber a lot of calibers.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie, the $350 is a good price for a 6.5-06...any other method will result in a higher cost......assuming a 6.5 is the goal. BTW it's a superb deer/pronghorn/sheep/goat and even bigger stuff cartridge.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM

What's wrong with leaveing it 8mm mauser??? They work just as well on game as a 30/06 out to any range you "should" be shooting.

I shoot the rimmed version of this round with hand loaded 200 grain nosler partitions, and i've found it to be excelent!!! I've put a lot of meat in my freezer with this combo, includeing 2 nice bucks this fall.

Opening day morning,

Quick Reply: 8MM Mauser project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.