HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 8MM Mauser project
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 12:25 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default 8MM Mauser project

A few months ago, I bought a Czech VZ24 8MM Mauser. I had the headspace checked and all was good. I couldn't wait to shoot it, so I bought a box of Rem 170 gr. Core Lokts and had at it. I didn't get very good groups and put the gun away fir a while. I have not had the time to do anything with it until last night. I tore the gun down to nothing. The action and barrel, the stock pieces, all of the sling swivels, bayonet mount- everything.

This gun is filled with crum, grease, and whatever else you can think of to describe one of the nastiest looking guns known. The floor plate for the magazine is stuck shut. All of the exposed metal parts are now silver, not black. The stock has many dings, and is discolored badly.

I have a question about how far I should go in restoring it. Aside from a very thourough cleaning, should I do any more? Should I have the barrel and all metal parts re-blued? What about the stock. I will not modify it at all, but not sure to leave it in as is condition, or to restore it to original condition.

Any help and opinions would be great! Thanks guys!