Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka and Browning? >

Tikka and Browning?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka and Browning?

Old 12-10-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Tikka and Browning?

I have been doing alot of searching of the T3 lite stainless and stainless stalker (7mm calibers) and both rifles both seem to compare close to each other but I have a few questions that hopefully could be answered or commented on!

How do the qualities compare for each rifle: synthetic stocks, stainless barrels, overall quality, for longevity and harsher conditions such as cold weather (-35ÂșC), snow rain, etc. any other options? Which stock is better?

Also how much difference would there be between the 7mm rem mag (tikka) and the 7 mm WSM or mag (browning) for shooting quality, recoil, trajectory, accuracy?

Warranty on both?

And does the BOSS system make much of a difference or for a hunter like myself will I even notice it? Or should a guy stick with it safe and go without a BOSS.

FYI - I will be hunting in open areas and bush for moose, elk, and deer

If anyone has links that compare these two models or test these two models this would be excellent

P.S At this point price isn't much concern.

Thanks for the Time, bbureau1
Old 12-10-2003, 04:28 PM

Default RE: Tikka and Browning?

I have a Tikka T3 270 short mag, and I have shot my uncles 270 short mag stainless stalker. I'll tell you what I love my Tikka. They are hard to find though so if you find one you are pretty lucky. The stocks on the two guns are pretty much the same, and if you have a prefrence on the stock you can always get an aftermarket stock.

which ever gun you chose you will be happy!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a browning, great gun. Sold it and bought a Tikka. Don't regret it at all.

Tikka has slickest action ever, guarenteed MOA accuracy, and usually are less expensive. Also, the detachable external magazine is very handy. The Browning wouldn't shoot as well as I wanted. The Tikka does.

Warranties should be similar.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:44 PM

Also keep in mind the Boss adds to your muzzle blast. It's hard to wrong with a Tikka.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:34 PM

The Tikka action is a big step up in quality from the Brownings I have recently checked out. The Browning did not seem to have the fit/finish quality of the Tikka. The Tikka is a hard to find gun, checked one out on its way to the new owner the other week, only one I have seen in weeks. If I found one in 7mm-08 it would be on the way home..................

I have a 7mm rem mag Beretta Mato made by Tikka that is an awesome gun, action, barrel, stock.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Meant to post more but was in training and couldn't type.

Might want to go to this other board I frequent. They nearly have an entire section about Tikka rifles;

www.graybeardoutdoors.com

New to the bolt action crowd by name but not function, the Tikka is made using the same triggers and barrels as Sako, world famous for quality and accurate rifles. I had my A-Bolt as my first big-game rifle, purchased about 8 years ago. I loved the gun but it had some nagging faults (not stainless, 26" barrel, internal mag. attached to floor plate, not that accurate). I looked for the last 2 years for a replacement and satisfied all my conditions with the Tikka. I prefer a 24" barrel since I hike through a lot of brush and that extra 2" actually made a difference in some of my hunting. The action is so smooth you can have it unlatched and tilt the rifle 5 degrees and the bolt will slide. The browning felt like you were pushing it through a pile of sandy clay, even after cleaning and lubeing.

The trigger is also excellent. The A-bolt was really nice too so I can't say the Tikka is better but it is as good. And the Tikka's is adjustable from 2-4 lbs. I like mine right around 2 1/2 personally. Breaks clean and crisp with no creap or overtravel.

I think one of the hunting mags (Field & Stream? American Rifleman?) even named it Rifle of the Year. Just do a search on the internet and you should find lots of rave reviews about it. A warning, the T3 is not as nice as the previous model, the Whitetail Hunter. Good deals can be found on the W.H. if you look. Although the T3 is a nice gun too, they changed it to use 1 action length for all calibers (.223 up to .300). To accomodate this they have a plastic insert inside the magazine to take up the slack.