Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Tikka and Browning

Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 AM

Default Tikka and Browning

I have been doing alot of searching of the T3 lite stainless and stainless stalker (7mm calibers) and both rifles both seem to compare close to each other but I have a few questions that hopefully could be answered or commented on!

How do the qualities compare for each rifle: synthetic stocks, stainless barrels, overall quality, for longevity and harsher conditions such as cold weather (-35ÂșC), snow rain, etc. any other options?

Also how much difference would there be between the 7mm rem mag (tikka) and the 7 mm WSM (browning) for shooting quality, recoil, trajectory, accuracy?

And does the BOSS system make much of a difference or for a hunter like myself will I even notice it? Or should a guy stick with it safe and go without a BOSS.

FYI - I will be hunting in open areas and bush for moose, elk, and deer

If anyone has links that compare these two models or test these two models this would be excellent
P.S At this point price isn't much concern.

Thanks for the Time, bbureau1
Old 12-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tikka and Browning

I just looked at the first Tikka yesterday that I had seen.I was surprized it looked and felt so much like a browning.Only thing I didn't like about it was the same size action fits all.I was interested in one in the 25/06 cal but it doesn't come in tht cal either.Over all I liked the feel and looks on the tikka might have to rethink caliber and get one later.Was told they come in the wsm cal too.
I have a 270 wsm browning and it has been the most accruate out of the box rifle I have ever bought.I don't have the brake on it but got the sims recoil pad and it shoots without the recoil for me.It is the stalker /blue barrel with composit stock.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Herman -The tikka t-3 does come chambered in 25-06.
bbureau1-I live in alberta and hunt in conditions from -30 to +90 from rain to snow and I only use stainless synthetic stocked rifles.They are very low maintenance and are more stable as far as holding point of impact than wood stocked rifles.I have owned a rifle with the boss system and although it worked to tune the gun for loads it was no more accurate than my other rifles without the boss.It also vibrated loose which resulted in changing point of impact.In your situation I would avoid the boss and choose the tikka in 7mmremmag.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Herman's right, they are similar. I own one of each and love em both. The price and quality are about the same. I like the action on the Browning slightly better. I like the palm swell on the stock of the Tikka better. Both are great shooters. To choose between them. I recommend to handle them as much as possible before buying. You'll be happy with either one.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a Fan of neither Rifle or Boss system...I think the only advantage the Tiika holds is price... Having owned A bolts and Sakos...the Abolts outshot the Sakos on a pretty darn consistent basis and were never a problem maintenance wise and that also applies to the Sakos. You couldn't give me either rifle but if forced to choose it would be the Browning. I have thoroughly looked at Tiika I figure if a Sako at 1000 doesn't trip my trigger something made by the same company won't do it for 1/2 the price.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 PM

i can't answer many of these questions, but i do have an a-bolt stalker in 7mm WSM. the recoil is what would be expected and the accuracy/consistency is incredible. never had a tikka, can't opine on that. maybe this will help.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

stubblejumper you are right I just checked the Tikka web sight and it lists a 25?06. when I was looking at them the fellow checked the catalog and it wasn't listed in his.He showed me the catalog and it list them all as having a 27 3/8 in barrel though..Will check back with him