Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.25 WSSM

Old 12-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .25 WSSM

I JUST GOT MY NEW GUNS & AMMO AND HERE WE GO AGIN WITH WINCHESTER THEY ARE INTODUCING THE .25 WSSM IN 2004 . IT SAID IT SHOULD HAVE 25.06 BALLISTICS WITH LESS POWDER AND RECOIL CARTRIGDE LENGTH IS 2.36 AND THREE LOADS 120 GR. POSITIVE EXPANDING POINT, 85 GR SUPREMES, 115 BALLISTIC SILVERTIPS
Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 PM

Default RE: .25 WSSM

Hey, the firearms manufacturers need something new to sell! A guy only needs so many .308's.......or .270's.........or 30-06's....................
Old 12-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Well I do love my 300 WSM, it's in a nice rifle that's more compact and easier to handle than the bigger full length magnum guns. That's the only reason I bought it, the rifle that it came in (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) But, I really think they've gone a little far with the super shorties, I mean I'm sure it's a great round just like the 25-06 is, but I still like my 257 Roberts better. But, then again I'm for anything that will sell more guns, and keep the shooting industry healthy.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:43 PM

Hey Gordon,

I'm only poking a little fun. Personally I like the idea of the new cartridges. (Heck....I love new toys to death.) And it has nothing to do with whether or not we need them....or how they are or are not any better than existing rounds. I think its a good idea the manufacturers introduce some new blood so to speak. Nothing wrong with having a "bigger selection".

Besides....it gives us so many more things to argue about!

I may not believe they really accomplish much if anything for us that we don't already have.....but it is fun having them around!

Dave
Old 12-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ALSO LIKE THE NEW ROUNDS AND I ALSO HAVE A .270 WSM IN A BROWNING A-BOLT , ITS JUST GETTING ALITTLE FAR OUT THERE
Old 12-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the rub....all these new cartridges are increasing the number of setups the brass plants and the loading plants have to set up on each year. It reduces the number of "older" cartridges required (in volume....not SKUs) and therefore it increases the setup to run ratio of making ammunition.

Further it's putting a strain on retailers to stock all the new ammo....even though they must still stock the old cartridges as well.....In short, it's increasing our costs to shoot.......and to my thinking, without adding much to the performance of shooting.

All of us will see these increases whether or not we buy one of the new rounds....it's not relevant.....the deed is done.

One more thing.....if you own a 7MM rem mag, you need to know it's value has gone down because no one wants it in trade....the used shops are stuffed with them.....all trading for a "newbie".....

The only winners I see are the guys that want to buy a used Magnum...there's a lot of folks been told....."sorry, I can't take it in trade, I have too many now!"
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 AM

Hey Vapo,

The way I see that is I'll amortize the increase in the cost of shooting by making up for it on the "good deals used"! Now maybe for some they don't buy enough firearms to see the "return". Fortunately, (or unfortunately) depending on whether you ask me or my wife, I will make up the difference.

Because in the end....you're right. We can't do anything "else" about the done deed! Reloaders will, of course, be able to mitigate those cost...a little! But what's done.....is done!

I for one have already been slinking around the shops looking for the great deals!

P.S. It may actually work out to the advantage of the sporting goods specific shops! I don't see Wal-Mart (for example) carrying a representative selection in all of the new calibers...and old simultaneously. Besides, the used gun business is not in Wal-Marts hands. In that regard....it may be a blessing in disguise for all of the many gun shops! Time will tell!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again with a cartridge to answer a question that was never asked. Gguess I will start hitting the gunshops and keep my eyes open for some deals on rifles chambered in those worthless and obselete old cartridges.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:43 AM

Who was that, that just said (and it might have been on this forum).....if you got something you can't sell....wrap it in baloney and sell the baloney?!?
Old 12-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

akbound, I agree 100% new blood is good, even if it is a little rediculous sometimes, it gives me an almost plausable excuse to buy a new gun, or barrel! And you are absolutely correct that it provides some great debate material! I would love nothing else than to make it more difficult for Wally World to keep up with the little guy, so I hope you're right about that. I'm sure they would like nothing more than to only have a few cartridges chambered in guns so they could drop their prices on them and run all their competition out of business. Haha, so the gun industry has thrown a curve to the Bentonville giant!

frizzellr, I think the question was asked, only not by the public. It was asked by Winchester and it probably went something like this: "ok, so what can we do to compete with the ultramags that the guys at Remington are bringing out? We certainly can't go bigger, that would mean looking like copycats, so what if we tried to go as small as possible and wring every bit of performance out of a new round, to get it to nip at the heels of its big brothers, the belted magnum" and then an intern with a bright idea piped up and said "shoot we could probably download the older magnums so the new shorties might even pass them on paper". That's probably how the creation of the short-fats occured. Do I think any of this is neccessary? Nope but like akbound, I think it's fun as heck seeing these new cartridges!

I guess the firearm companies needed a different type of baloney to sell what they had!

Gordon

Quick Reply: .25 WSSM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.