Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Savage Model 16 question >

Savage Model 16 question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Model 16 question

Old 12-07-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Savage Model 16 question

This rifle has the new three position safety, and when you push the safety off ( in the fire position) you cant put it back in the safe position without opening the bolt. Is this a design feature or is something binding up in the safety mechanism?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 AM

Default RE: Savage Model 16 question

larry,
there is defenently a problem with your safety.on a 3 position safety when you engage the safety you are pulling the cocking piece away from the sear.it is NOT safe to use as is!
Old 12-08-2003, 05:56 PM

sp, this is a trigger block safety. Tang mounted affair which has no contact with the cocking piece or sear.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

LARRY338 I am pretty sure you have a problem there. None of my Savages do that. you can flick the safety on and off or to the middle without touching the bolt on all three of mine. Sounds like something needs a little polishing.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:17 PM

The Savages I have seen with that safety were a little stiff at first. I think there is an allen screw that adjusts the spring tension on the safety, just take the action out of the stock and eyeball the setup, you'll see what I'm talking about readily if it still has them.

KC
Old 12-09-2003, 12:36 PM

Thanks Bolt Man, I guess I could have figured that out myself, but I knew there were a bunch of savage owners here and somebody could tell me what was causing that. After loosening that set screw it worked just like it should. I went ahead and put a dab of devcon aluminum putty in the lug cut while I had it apart. This one is the stainless laminated, and has two steel pillars in the stock where the screws go through. Pretty good bedding scheme by the engineers at Sauvage. I won this gun last winter at the NRA banquet and just now got around to shooting it. Its a 300 wsm and the first groups all went around 1 to 1.25 inches for five shots. I am impressed. 63 gr of IMR 4350 with a Barnes 168gr xts went just over an inch but it was two groups about an inch apart. Two in one hole of about 1/4 inch and three in another hole of about 3/8 of an inch. I'm thinking that little dab of devcon might cure that and make it a real shooter. A couple of the other groups looked like that too. Ballistic tips, and Hornady interbonds both shot good. Of the powders I tried, it looked like H-4831 and IMR-4350 wanted to shoot the best. When the glue dries I'm going to re-zero it with the x bullets and go out and splatter a few does with it. Its always fun when a rifle will shoot straight.