Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Taurus Ragging Bull .44 mag >

Taurus Ragging Bull .44 mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Taurus Ragging Bull .44 mag

Old 12-07-2003, 08:58 AM

Default Taurus Ragging Bull .44 mag

Anyone know anything about the Taurus Ragging Bull .44mag. I looked at the .454 Casull version yesterday what a beast. I want to by a .44 with an 8" barrell. Looking at S&W 629 and the Taurus.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taurus Ragging Bull .44 mag

The Taurus raging bull is a superb hunting gun in .44 mag and bigger calibers. Heavy, ported, great rubber grips.....and the sights are good as well. You don't even need a trigger job.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forum goinhtn, The Taurus Raging Bull's aren't a bad revolver.
Never the less they are Foreign made.At one time a friend who works for a gun shop said there were some of the RB's with frame problems.I'm sure by now Taurus has gotten that problem corrected.The Smith is a well made wheelgun but aren't as strong as the Ruger's. My favorites from my own experiences are the Ruger's. The American made Redhawks and Super Redhawks will handle whatever you feed them. In my opinion one of strongest handguns made.They can withstand the constant punishment of magnum loads and full house Casull loads.Taurus has a lifetime warranty. Ruger has a service policy which I have never paid for any Ruger repair.The Rugers come with scope rings on the SRH's and some of the RH's.No drilling or tapping required.Look at the Ruger's,I think you'll have second thoughts about the Taurus and Smith.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-07-2003, 11:36 AM

Hi GOINHTN,

Of the three manufacturers mentioned, Taurus, S & W, and Ruger, I think undoubtedly the Ruger Super Redhawks are strongest. But, depending on your intended use and application it may or may not be the best choice.

If you are looking for a "primary hunting tool" and may be considering mounting a scope then the Super Redhawk is probably the way to go. But if you are considering one chambered in .44 Magnum then maybe even the standard Redhawk is worth an extra look. It too comes with rings/integral bases, is somewhat lighter than the "Super" edition and plenty strong enough for a steady diet of maximum loads.

If you are looking for a somewhat lighter framed .44 Magnum which will still handle the hunting chores then the S. & W. models 29 or 629 will work well. They do take more effort if you choose to mount a scope. And won't digest the diet of heavy loads as well as the heavier framed guns.

The Taurus is somewhere in between in frame weight. But also a good hunting revolver and comes ported standard.

I am going to purchase a large bore revolver for everyday carry when I spend my time outdoors in Alaska. I am in fact looking hard at the Taurus. It is available in .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, and .480 Ruger. But what I like about it is that it is available in a 5" barrel...and the heavier calibers. I do not see its primary use as a "primary hunting arm"...but rather a defensive weapon (bears and less degree feral dogs/wolves). Yes, it could be used for hunting, and may in fact be used in that capacity within its limitations...but that is not its primary use.

The five years I lived in Alaska previously my everyday carry was a 4" Model 629. And I carried it with 328 grain hard cast lead. After a box of so of those shells I would need to tighten some of the frame screws...almost everytime. If I were to choose the .44 Magnum again I might opt for the 629 in a 4" barrel. Or maybe go as large as the Redhawk with the 5 1/2" barrel. But I very well may move up the caliber rung to either the .454 or the .480 and because I want something portable...I will then pick the Taurus Raging Bull with the 5".

So I guess what I am saying, is that which gun I would purchase would to a large degree be determined on how I envisioned primarily using it!

Good luck with your upcoming purchase!
Old 12-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Raging Bull in 44 mag and like it. Has an excellent trigger and likes about anything I put in it. For the money its a good revolver. My hunting partner(diehard Super Redhawk fan) was impressed when he shot it. The Ruger is the better/stronger revolver but the Raging Bull is not too far behind.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE A RSRH IN 44 MAG AND LOVE IT TOPED WITH A FIXED 4 EER LEUPLOD
Old 12-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Rem. Mag. with a Pentax 1.5-4x pistol scope, and I really enjoy it. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will the Taurus accept scope mounts?
Old 12-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Taurus makes a scope mount for the Raging Bull or you can have it drilled and tapped.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:31 AM

i though i prefer the rugers due to the way they fir my hand better you may be the other way around. Id handle them both and go with the one that feels best.

Quick Reply: Taurus Ragging Bull .44 mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.