Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mausers????

Old 02-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mausers????

I've got a couple of Q's on Mausers. First, what makes a Mauser a Mauser, why do they call them that????
Secondly, does anyone know what caliber an 1894 berlin modelo espanol 1893 mausero is??? I bought one for my girlfriend under the assumption that it was a 7x77mm mauser, but the case is too fat, but I think the cap is too small???? I'm lost on it, anyone have any ideas on what bullet it takes, and/or how much she is worth since she's in GREAT shape, especially for 108 yrs old????
Old 02-05-2002, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Mausers????

your girlfriend is 108 yrs old? How old are you?? This isn't one of those May-December romances, is it?
....Oh, well, true love will win out...
Mausers are called Mausers because of the guy that designed them... Peter Paul Mauser..... and you thought he just made candy bars.... I'm not really sure what his first design was, but one of the first big successful Mausers was the 91 series...which are called "small ring" Mausers, because the reciever ring is smaller in diameter than the 98 series rifles, which is by far the most common today. The small ring Mausers include Swedish 96's and 38's in 6.5mm, otherwise known as the 6.5x55.. and various others including Mexican mausers..95's? I can't remember...but they are 7mm, or 7x57. Yours sounds to me like a Mexican mauser, but I couldn't tell you without inspecting it... it is probably a 7mm. There were also 91 Argentine mausers in 7.65x53, I believe. Most of the 98's, or "large ring" mausers are chambered for the 8mm, or 7.9x57...but they are normally just called 8mm's... You should take it to a reputable gunsmith or gunshop and have them check it out...the older guns should have the headspace checked, and should be thoroughly inspected for rust or cracks. Checking headspace isn't a difficult task, and the cost shouldn't be more than 15 or 20 dollars, if that much. That having been said, if it is in ok condition, you have a REALLY nice rifle... chambered for one of the best deer cartridges made. Good luck with it.... hornetguy
Old 02-06-2002, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Before you start down the road of trail and error, take the rifle to your local gunsmith and have him correctly indentify exactly what round that Mauaser is chamber for. While he is at it he can check headspace, locking lugs, trigger, safety, and all the other important parts of function and safety. It will be money well spent, to ensure the 108 year old rifle is ready and safe to fire.

If my memory serves me correctlt, P. Mauser after designing the M-91 Mauser, began looking for military contracts for them. Spain was one of the very first takers of the M-91. As design modifications and improvements were added, the M-93, M-95, and M-96 models were created. For all practical purposes the M-93 and M-95 are the exact same gun. Of course the M-96, become more commanly known as the M-96 Swedish Mauser. Many od the countries using P. Mauser's design contracted with him to manufacture their own version.

The M-91 was chambered in the 7.65x54 Mauser round, later to become more commanly known as the 7.65mm Argentine round. The M-93 & M-95 were chambered in the famous 7x57 Mauser round. The M-96 is most known for it's chambering in the 6.5x55 Swedish round.

More than likely, what you have is an M-93 Argetine Mauser chambered in 7.65x54 or more commanly know as the 7.65 Argetine. The 7.65x54/7.65 Argetine case is slightly smaller in diameter at the base and shoulder by a few thousandths and .125" shorter overall length, than the 7x57 Mauser case.

Hope this helps. But I would still take it a gunsmith to confirm that the rifle is indeed chambered for the 7.65 Argetine round, and to see if the rifle is safe to fire.

Edited by - 1SHOT_1KILL on 02/06/2002 14:38:52
Old 02-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the brothers Mauser's (Paul and Wilhelm) first rifle was the Infanterie-Gewehr Mod. 71 German Mauser and was the first regulation brass cartridge rifle of the Imperial German Army. It was a split bridge, single-shot in 11mm (11.15 x 60R)with a diameter of .446, and only a single locking lug forward of the receiver. It was later converted to a tubular magazine repeater as the Model 71/84.
Not quite the workhorse the more well known later Mausers were. Most folks think of the M98 when they hear "Mauser" but as 1SHOT pointed out, there is quite a family of quality Mausers to be looked at and appreciated.....some are still highly sought after as platforms for custom rifles.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

thought i seen my name....a mauser is a gun manufacturer....a 7x77mm doesnt exsist...maybe a typo...for 7x57...and its not worht more than 200$ mausers are fairly comon...and its a spanish mauser...take it to a shop and have them check it out...prolly 8mm id my gess...and that will take ur g/fs arm off if u wanted a small gun for her....its bigger than a 06...

mauser06