Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 whats up with the rut in wv >

whats up with the rut in wv

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

whats up with the rut in wv

Old 12-02-2003, 08:46 PM

Default whats up with the rut in wv

where did they go ,pre season scouting did not pay off for 17 days i watched a big ten and a small six at my stand everyday i go out and all i see is does i know were they bed but still nothing but does where did they go im thinking there all turning nocturnal any one care to put some input on this situation...rob
Old 12-03-2003, 06:40 AM

Default RE: whats up with the rut in wv

I believe all the hunters and gunshots have pushed them to nocturnal activity. During the week of Nov 9-15th, I saw bucks chasing does everywhere in the southwestern part of the WV. I did get this eight point the first day of rifle season in Fayette County, but he was alone.

Old 12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

rob what part of wv do you hunt in. I hunt in the norther panhandle. The rut wasnt nearly what i expected. I spent A LOT of time in the woods and the rut was not nearly what it was the last couple of years. at least in the daylight. I found rubs and scrapes but only saw 5 bucks chasing does and remember i spent a lot of time in the woods. I killed 8 points on monday and tuesday of gun season but neither were chasing does and no does were around. They were on the same patterns i had seen all season. My best luck with calling was in late october, when it should have been, i connected on 2 eight points and a doe. Both of the 8's came in to the can and grunt call.( man we can buy a lot of extra tags in WV this year.) But the rut just didnt seem to be very intense several big bucks i saw in the early/mid fall i havent seen in a while i dont know whats up this year. good luck the rest of the year. Id be interested to see what other WV hunter saw this year. I have hunted for about 10 years and never heard less shooting during a gun season.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:27 PM

nice buck dy i also live in fayette co and have always seen nice deer but i dont think the rut made the time line with the season this year and maybe there just was not enough hunting pressure were i hunt but i know the big one is there and its all timeing good luck on future hunts my fellow west virginans and as always be safe rob