Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

JAMMING!!!!

Old 11-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: JAMMING!!!!

I had the same thing happen to me using the inexpensive low brass shells. There is nothing wrong with the gun, use high brass and you won' t see it again. When you go to buy some shells, ask the clerk for high brass.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot low brass shells including some of the cheaper winchester loads in my 870' s and have no problems at all.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:25 PM

I can already see this turning into a " high brass vs. low brass" debate.

Quality shells should not cause any problems with that gun, regardless of high or low brass shells. And Federal is usually good quality. Get some AA target loads and shoot them. If they still do it, you need to have the gun checked by a gunsmith.

And always remember, pump guns are NOT delicate actions. Rack those slides like you mean it.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:26 PM

after i shot i went to pump it and i could only pull the forearm back enuf to see all the brass on the shell thru the ejection port....like i could still pump it wen this happened i just had to pull pretty hard....
If you could see all the brass but still had to pull hard, I' d be betting something on that gun is binding.Has it been dropped or anything else that would cause the slide rails to be bent?? Where they sloppy right from the factory? Just my guess anyway.Seems to me, I' ve heard of 870' s having trouble with binding up.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

That gun should cycle with any ammo that you feed it. It doesn' t sound like a short stroking prroblem since it is only jamming after the shot and it will not cycle rearward after the shot.

It could very well be the locking bolt not releasing from the receiver properly. As the gun is fired the locking bolt transfers the energy to the receiver so the action doesn' t just fly back at you. As the rest of the gun starts recoiling against your shoulder your foward arm remains still for an instant and moves the bolt assembly foward in the gun. This foward motion is suppose to release the locking bolt form the receiver and allow the action to cycle. If the locking bolt is binding in the bolt assembly or against the locking lug in the top of the receiver this would definetly create your problem.

Also it could be the ejector spring binding on the side of the bolt assembly.

Look on the bright side. At least Remington is going to be keeping me in business after I graduate from gunsmith school.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try some 3 1/2" ers in it, you for sure won' t have a short stroking problem with them, mine cycles itself with them all I have to do is jack it forward.
Is the little piece that holds the next shell in the magazine releasing all the way. I had one awhile back that would' nt release and let the next shell drop into the loading chamber.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:32 AM

I have shot literally thousands of the cheapest shells out there. Never had a problem except 2 or 3 times when I " short stroked it" (a life-long problem of mine)
Old 12-01-2003, 02:25 PM

http://bulletin.huntingclub.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000383.html
It took some time but I knew I' d find it , read on

Hunter-4life, if they make them from from lower quality metals then how was it that the Moss. 590 was the only gun to pass the militaries 10,000 rnd. test.
Not looking for a fight, but more and more law enforcement agencies are switching to the Moss. 590' s and are trading in the Rem. 870' s. The military currently uses the Moss. 590' s and other specaillty models from Moss. more than any other shotgun brand.

As a gunsmith I have cleaned a lot of Moss. 835' s and 500' s and repaired a lot of 870' s and the parts in the Moss. are thicker and have less wear than the Rem. 870' s.

Especailly the 870' s that have come out of Rems. factory in the last 5 to 6 years.

Currently I have a Rem. 870 in my shop, brand new out of the box it won' t eject a shell after it' s fired. The fit on the action bars is so poor that they are binding and locking up the action. I' ve seen this problem and several others with the current 870' s the worst ones are the 870 youth models.

------------------
[email protected]

NAHC Life Member
NRA Member
DU Committee Member
Pheasants Forever Committee Member
NWTF Member
RMEF Member
Cert. 4-H Shooting Instructor
Gunsmith/FFL Dealer

" GUN CONTROL, IS HITTING YOUR TARGET"
Sorry I can' t get the link to work but this is the quote I was looking for. the man making this statement is a quailified gunsmith.This may be the answer to your problems, then again, maybe not.

WHEELS, if you read your quote here, please don' t be offened that I stole it from the other site, I just felt 312 could benefit from it. Thank you!!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

I had the same problem you' re facing. I called Remington' s customer service. They had me take the gun to a local authorized service center and have the chamber polished. This was at no cost to me. Polishing the chamber cured the problem and I haven' t had any trouble since.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:44 PM

the gun was a little stiff when i first bought it but my dad said that is from it being brand new along with the grease that they put on the parts....but after 50 shots i find it to be 100x smoother and when i pump the gun with no shell in it its really smooth....same thing as when i pump it with unfired shells in it.....

somebody said it may be because of the shells expanding in the chamber (shells i was using r $35 for 100 shells so they really cheap) if it were to jam up wouldnt it be worse with magnum 3 1/2" shells? cuz i fired a couple of those and it cycled perfectly....

while firing the cheap shells and both times it jammed i could still pull it back but for a 1/2" or so it would be hard and then it would just pop out and go back to normal.....

if i were to get the chamber polished would i have to take it back to the store where i bought it? is it possible to polish it yourself? if so wut do i need?

my dad has lots of stuff for guns since he inherited stuff for refinishing guns and such so he may have wut i need

thx for yer help

ch312

Quick Reply: JAMMING!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.