Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Accuracy and reliability of pumps? >

Accuracy and reliability of pumps?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy and reliability of pumps?

Old 11-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy and reliability of pumps?

I am looking at buying a new gun for my nephew (.308). I would like to get him a left handed bolt. He likes the pump. Is the accuracy of a pump as good as a bolt? Has anyone had problems with the remington pump?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Accuracy and reliability of pumps?

I have a friend who hunts northern Maine every year, pumps seem to be the local favorites for that type of hunting. He loves his.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:04 PM

HEY THEIR, I BOUGHT A REM PUMP A FEW YEARS AGO IN 30/06 CALIBER, JUST HATED IT THE ACCURACY WAS NOT THAT GOOD COMPARED TO MY BOLTS, SO I TRADED IT IN BOUGHT A NEW REM 700 BDL IN 270 CALIBER NEVER LOOKED BACK , MY OPINION THE 270 IS THE BEST CALIBER FOR WHITETAILS IF YOUR NOT SET ON THE 308, JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH, BY THE WAY I HAVE ALL LEFT HAND BOLTS ALSO , SAVAGE 270, REM 700 BDL, EREM 300 ULTRA MAG, HOPE THIS HELPS , GOOD DAY.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first rifle was a Remington pump in .270. It was totally reliable and accurate for deer...it wasn' t the varmint rifle I really wanted however and in a few years I traded it.

A friend many years later bought a pump that was fabulously accurate...just like a bolt action rifle...super.....(also a .270)

If I was left handed the pump just might be a good alternative to left handed bolts.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:45 PM

I' ve been shooting a Rem mod. 6 for over 20 yr. never had a problem at all, very reliable. I' ve taken 3 mulies at 400+ yrd., so accuracy is not an issue. 30.06 CAL.[8D]
Old 11-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Remington pump will come so close in the accuacy dept to any bolt action that you will never see the difference. I had two for many years total reliability never a malfunction of any kind. One good day I shot a couple of three shot groups with the 270 pump with Nosler Balistic tips of 3/4 inch at TWO HUNDRED YARDS. I nevet could beat that with any other rifle I owned bolt or otherwise.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:04 PM

hey bigbuck,
I am a PA hunter, I shot my first whitetail with a Rem 760 carbine in .308. They now of course are the 7600s but i feel comfortable saying a qaurter of the one million hunters in the Pa woods on opening day are carrying the 760/7600. Pumps are inherently not as accurates as bolts. It depends on what you consider accurate. I have no problem shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds with mine with its fav. factory ammo. Plenty accurate for most all your hunting needs. Yes, i have bolts that shoot better. Is that really needed??? Everybody is crazed over the MOA groups at 100yds. If your nephew feels comfortable shooting that gun(which is the most important factor) It should be plenty accurate. The .308 is a fantastic cartridge. Only about 100fps slower with the same bullet than the favored 30-06. I have never had any problems with the pump, just make sure the magazine is seated properly. good luck huntin
Old 11-25-2003, 03:36 PM

I have a 760 .244 (6MM) that I got when I was 12 (now 34). I love that gun. It' s worth more money than I' d truly want to carry in the woods of PA and MD. They didn' t make many of that caliber. I use it to this day and will use it to the day I can' t. It' s as accurate or better than any bolt with factory ammo. I have never had any fancy scope on it, in fact my first was a $24 bushnell 4X scope I saved up for and bought. My dad agreed he' d buy the mount and rings. I do shoot hand loads of various types powders, bullets weight and styles. It shoots everyone one of them awesome. I shot my first PA fall turkey with a loaded down 80 gr. FMJ and my first PA deer with 95 gr. PSP bullets. BTW the 80 FMJ just poked a hole right through the turkey.

Maybe it' s matter of what cartridge has a tendacy to shoot better than others. Maybe that' s why my 760 pump is flawless. I wouldn' t own a gun that didn' t shoot the way I' d like it to. Two inch groups at 100 yards isn' t thst good for me. Maybe I' m picky.

How about a .260 or 7MM-08 instead of the .308???
Old 11-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

[8D] Myson has a Remington 7600 pump in .270 this morning he shot a nice buck at 317 yds in the neck (measured not guessed) I' ve seen him do itmany times. This pump is very light and kicks a little on the bench but you never noitice it in the field. I pack a BAR in 06 and and amazed at the weight difference. The .270 will kill any deer thayt walks near or far. He doesn' t get fancy just uses factory ammo and 3/4 grpoups at 100 yds are common. At sighting in day at the range I help guys with all kinds of rifles but Remington pumps Always shoot good and some will amaze you and wipe the nose of many expensive bolt guns. A quick shoot is an advantage where we hunt in North Mo. You might get a long shot or very close in the brush. I once used a. 270 pump in South Dakota for mule deer and shot one so far away I don' t believe it myself but I had witnesses. Light, accurate , quick ,virtually weather proof, can' t be beat, No msateer what cal. you choice.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are accurate because they have a rotary locking bolt and free floated barrel. There was a time when the Army shooting teams used them in 222 for competition shooting. They give up nothing to most out of the box bolt actions.

Quick Reply: Accuracy and reliability of pumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.