Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need input on this combo... >

Need input on this combo...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need input on this combo...

Old 11-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need input on this combo...

I want to shoot one rifle for all big game and its needs to be accurate, hard hitting, flat shooting, reasonable recoil, weather resistent and not cost a fortune. I am looking strongly at the Savage 116 FSAK in 300 UM with a Bushnell Legend 5-15x scope. Total cost approx. $750. The alternative is a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker w/BOSS and a Nikon Monarch 5-15x. Total cost approx. $1250. What do you think and where can a guy find the best deal on either setup?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:31 PM

Default RE: Need input on this combo...

Here' s a link to a guy that frequents this forum, has good prices on scopes, and free shipping.

www.theopticzone.com

Hope this helps.

Lance
Old 11-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Either combo should serve you well. If it were me I would stay with the plain boring yet efficient 300 Win Mag. Nothing really out does it by enogh to see any practical difference and its avaiable everywhere. The SSULTRASSXYZ in front of the new calibers don' t make them an once better than the old standbys. MY OPINION.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:48 PM

Hi tbonecpa,

You didn' t mention whether or not you intended to do any hunting in heavy cover, (in addition to the longer shots), or use the rifle for any game considered dangerous. But if either of the above are a possibility you might want to consider a variable scope with the capacity of a little wider field of view. Maybe a good 3.5 X 12 or something like that.....instead of a " bottom power" of 5X. Just a thought?!?

Good luck with making your decision!

P.S. Either of the rifles you mentioned would be good choices!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. I have found the legend scope for as little as $170 but no one seems to have the Savage 116 FSAK in 300UM. PLEASE, PLEASE help me find this gun. Some extra money is burning a hole in my pocket and I just want to get it and be done with it. Also, my wife doesn' t know about the money yet so I need to spend it or she will. The local Gander Mountain is listed as a dealer but when I asked about ordering one they acted like Savage guns are the devil. My dad really wants me to buy the Browning (he has Browning everything) but I don' t think it is worth $300 more and the muzzle brake isn' t adjustable. I was considering the 300WM but my 30-06 with the high energy loads has very similar ballistics to the 300WM. I don' t plan on hunting dangerous game but I realize 5x is a little narrow. A 3-12x would have a fov of about 36 ft @ 3x versus 26 ft with the 5x. Ideally, I would like to find a quality 4-16x but that doesn' t seem to exist. Help me find my gun, please.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would also stick to a scope with a lower power of 3 or at most 3.5.It can be a big advantage with close range shots.I use 3x10 scopes myself and have no problem shooting out to 500 yards.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:30 PM

Hey, if you are trying to find the savage give www.gunbroker.com a try they have a great selection of everthing.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 PM

Every one has their opinion on guns. I have had 3 Browning and liked each one. I would save your money on the boss. The Monarch scopes are great, and as mentioned a 3.55 max would be my choice unless your talking really long shots.

Good Luck.