Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best bullets for 300win mag >

best bullets for 300win mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best bullets for 300win mag

Old 11-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Spike

Default best bullets for 300win mag

I' m moving to southwest South Dakota soon, around Rapid City. I bought a 300 winchester magnum to hunt with out there. I' ll be hunting mule deer and elk. What would the best bullet choice be? I was thinking probably the Federal 180 grain TB bullets would be good, but I' ve never tried them.

Old 11-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: best bullets for 300win mag

I stay in Jamestown ND now but I lived the first 52 years of my life north of Wall SD. I still have a small farm out there where I hunt. I got one anterless tag filled there last week and have to go back for my any deer tag soon. I have a muzzle loader tag as well and that starts Dec 13 through Jan 31. I hunted for a few years with a 300 win mag out there. It is really much more gun than you need however if thats you cup of tea I would go with any good 180 grain bullet. I prefer the Nosler Partition put any good bullet will work. Shots on Black Hills elk are generally not long with most guys useing a 30-06 and 270. I plan on retiring back there. Its a fine place to live. What do you do? I am Retired but my wife has several years to go. Good luck hunting.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Spike

Thanks James B,

I' m getting stationed to Ellsworth AFB. It seemed to me that I would have to go outside of the state to either Wyoming or Montana to hunt elk because of the way the tags worked in SD. I may have read it wrong or looked at bad information but I think you have to be rejected for a few years before you can get a black hills elk tag. Is that correct?

So how is SD? I hear it' s great up there.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are correct about the Black Hills Elk tags. You have to apply several times as a rule before you get a permit. It is however cheap to apply for. I really liked living there but my Wife got a good job up here in the frozen North. My Brother also lives up here and he and I are all thats left of the immediate family. We kept our small farm North of Wall and plan to retire there. Good hunting out there. The Mule deer are thick as flies out in the west river prarie units. Good Antelope hunting North of the air base in those counties up there. Good bird hunting also. Nice people. I come down there pretty often and have cousins in Rapid City. Maybe we can have a cup of coffee sometime. Good Luck. Wall is about 45 miles east of Rapid City.