Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Would you Restock? >

Would you Restock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Would you Restock?

Old 11-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Would you Restock?

I have a perfectly good Ruger 77 MK II in 338 it is blued/wood gun that I bought for next to nothing(350.00) at a closeout at a local Sports authority. Came from the factory with a 3 1/2 lb trigger (tiny bit of creep) and was beautifully put together..fit and finish bolt travel everything about it. Must have been built on a Wednesday by a guy that had a good nights sleep and was wide awake. Shoots factory 225 grain corelockts so well that I have no reason to use anything else and not even bother handloading for it.. Here is the dilemna I have a case of reading too many gun magazines and the fiberglass stock argument comes in ... Would you restock the gun in fiberglass or leave as is under its not broken don' t mess with it rule.?.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:15 PM

Default RE: Would you Restock?

oldelkhunter,
Come on man, you know that a real rifle has a good piece of wood for a stock. Those plastic stocks are just a cheap replacement for the real thing.

Yeah yeah, I' m only kidding, (sort of) but I do like wood.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:24 PM

I agree with mainehunt. Nothing looks quite as good as wood and if it isn' t broken...don' t fix it! If you ever decide to carry it in an ATV gun scabbard it would be nice though to have a synthetic to switch to. (Hate to rub and ruin a nice looking piece of wood.) Can always switch them back and forth?!

Good luck with whichever you decide!
Old 11-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I kept it the only thing I would do is urethane the barrel channel and inletting...underneath the grip cap and recoil pad and glass bed the tang ..barrel shank and add some glass at the barrel pressure point...I think that would keep it from moving unless it was in a deluge or I was hunting Alaska/Oregon...
Old 11-13-2003, 02:40 PM

definatly not. a good wood stock is beautiful, and you want to mangle the rifle. honestly really.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the dilemna I have a case of reading too many gun magazines
Therin lies the problem. Gun writers are usually shilling for gun manufacturers. Its cheaper to make a plastic stock than a good wooden one. So the gun writers tell youthat you need a synthetic- they are p*ssing down your back and telling you its raining. If its not broken, don' t fix it.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:59 PM

Why mess with a good thing? If anything, refinish the current stock.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:19 PM

If it ain' t broke, don' t fix it. Sounds like the gun is a real shooter, I would keep doing what you' re doing. Save the money and buy something else equally cool, like beer .
Old 11-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I would look for signs of stress or cracking. If there isn' t any then I would leave it alone.