Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver? >

how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver?

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/jan18/dwsmwbraker.png
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/july18/445rt.jpg
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/oct18/44magcarb.jpg
http://www.grumpysperformance.com/21716c.bmp.jpg

https://www.starlinebrass.com/445-super-mag-brass

the dan Wesson super mag revolver is a 6 shot double action , that was produced in both blue steel and stainless,
the revolvers lacked a bit in quality control and lacked a bit of fine hand finishing, from what I've seen quality in the hand finish work and parts fitting varied over the years, many were excellent but a few slipped through quality control with a few issues I've heard.
but the design was unique, barrels had a shroud that could be removed/replaced and barrels were easy to replace, several lengths were offered, many parts were cast, but with hand finishing these revolvers can be made to be very smooth, and impressive,
the 445 dwsm throws the same bullet a 44 mag with about a 250-300 fps increase in velocity.
accuracy with good handloads equals or frequently improves on what a good smith and Wesson 44 mag or ruger revolver can produce.
with properly loaded hard cast gas check bullets in the 300 grain weight range I've consistently had bench rested 4"-5" 100 yard 6 shot groups the guns surely capable of better but my eyes and iron sights on the 10" barrel just are not.
the revolvers don't pack the punch of a 454 casull or a 460 S&W, but they are significant steps up from a 44 mag, and produce amazing results on deer and hogs, as that extra velocity seems to push the impact energy just enough higher that you generally notice in both the reaction you get from game you've hit and in recoil if you shoot the heavy revolvers frequently, and they are lighter than the X frame SMITH AND WESSON REVOLVERS,
they are about 1/2 way between the N frame and X frame smiths in size and weight!
if you can find a used one in good condition ,reasonably priced ,
you might be amazed at the value and accuracy

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-23-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:47 PM
Spike

I'm pretty sure I've seen some of those on various gun shows, but definitely haven't seen it being used to hunt in all of my years.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:52 PM
Spike

Very nine! I have a Magnum Research BFR .500 S&W mag and a Bighorn Armory Model 89 .500 S&W mag.
I have clocked loads at 1400FPS for the pistol and 1600 FPS for the rifle. The body target was at 50 yards with the revolver.
Attached Thumbnails how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver?-.500-1.jpg   how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver?-75-yards-1.jpg   how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver?-50-yds.jpg  

Last edited by Bigbolt; 08-30-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 445 Super Mag DW for a couple years, would have been circa 2003-5 ballpark. It was on a long list of cartridges I have tried in pursuit of the “ideal deer hunting revolver,” for which I have a basis of design including >200yrd efficacy on whitetails. It delivers, but the challenge of trajectory for the 445 is only incrementally superior to a plain 44mag, and remains more challenging than 454 Casull (although obviously lesser recoiling).

I had two barrels, a 5.5 or 6” and a 10”, and wished at the time I only had one 8” barrel. Today, I might be more amenable to 10”. Brass availability was abysmal, although I’d acknowledge most guys aren’t shooting enough to have needed many pieces of brass - but I was burning out brass relatively quickly at the time.

I’ve toyed also with the idea of a 357/445 bottleneck wildcat, but haven’t quite decided if I think the juice will be worth the squeeze.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

brass is easy
https://www.starlinebrass.com/445-super-mag-brass
and in a pinch 30/40 craig brass can be cut and expanded and used
even some brands of 303 brit brass can be cut and resized to make brass
yeah, its not the easy choice, at times but in my opinion well worth the time and effort,
simply because you have something both unique and noticeably more powerful than a 44 mag,
that can still shoot 44 mag cartridges for practice,
but has a very noticeable increase in range and power if properly loaded

Last edited by hardcastonly; 08-30-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I had a blued model back in 2002 with a 8" barrel, and a 10" barrel. I thought the 10" barrel was to unwieldy for me so I only used the 8" barrel. Took a couple of deer with it, There was more expansion of the 240 grain bullet than with a 44 magnum using the same bullet. My brother-in-law coveted the gun, and in a fit of stupidity, I traded the gun for a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I liked the round so much, that I got a T/C Contender 18" carbine barrel for the 445 SM.