HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how many of you gentlemen own or have even seen a 445 DWSM revolver?
Old 08-30-2022, 05:03 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I had a 445 Super Mag DW for a couple years, would have been circa 2003-5 ballpark. It was on a long list of cartridges I have tried in pursuit of the “ideal deer hunting revolver,” for which I have a basis of design including >200yrd efficacy on whitetails. It delivers, but the challenge of trajectory for the 445 is only incrementally superior to a plain 44mag, and remains more challenging than 454 Casull (although obviously lesser recoiling).

I had two barrels, a 5.5 or 6” and a 10”, and wished at the time I only had one 8” barrel. Today, I might be more amenable to 10”. Brass availability was abysmal, although I’d acknowledge most guys aren’t shooting enough to have needed many pieces of brass - but I was burning out brass relatively quickly at the time.

I’ve toyed also with the idea of a 357/445 bottleneck wildcat, but haven’t quite decided if I think the juice will be worth the squeeze.