Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage rifle advice >

Savage rifle advice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage rifle advice

Old 06-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default Savage rifle advice

Hi all. I am asking about 2 hunting rifles made by Savage Arms.Basically I can get the Axis II that comes with a Bushnell scope for $459

or, the 110 Apex Hunter that comes with a Vortex Crossfire II scope for $619

Assuming that I don’t necessarily want to replace the scope any time soon, is the 110 worth the extra $160?

As you may guessed I will be a first time hunter this year, even though I am 52. I have experience with rifles from the service but never owned a hunting rifle. Any other suggestions in that general price range would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2022, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, the 110 with a Vortex scope is worth the extra money. The Axis has way too much plastic for my tastes, and I'm guessing the Bushnell wouldn't be their top of the line. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Wingbone; 06-28-2022 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm on the other side of the fence from Wingbone. I have an Axis in 350 Legend and I really like this little gun. I did a lot of searching to find one without the Accutrigger. I got one with the standard trigger and installed an MCarbo trigger kit which cut the trigger pull weight in half and fixed the side to side wobble. And that "plastic" is a polymer and is extremely tough. Now the action is not as slick as on my Brownings or Tikkas but works flawlessly. Accuracy is right up there too. Its no 1 MOA shooter but will keep them all in 2" @ 100 yards which is plenty accurate.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a Savage Axis in .270 without the accutrigger which I bought a little over a year ago. It is extremely accurate pic below, and I am using it in oct on a pronghorn hunt. The only polymer on it is the bottom of the detachable magazine so I don't see where there is too much plastic. I bought my grandson a Savage 110 in .243 a several years ago and my Axis has a much smoother operating bolt. Judging from the Axis I have, I would not hesitate to buy another. Top group 50 yds bottom group 100 yards.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-28-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have a Savage Axis in .270 without the accutrigger which I bought a little over a year ago. It is extremely accurate an I am using it in oct on a pronghorn hunt. The only polymer on it is the bottom of the detachable magazine so I don't see where there is too much plastic. I bought my grandson a Savage 110 in .243 a several years ago and my Axis has a much smoother operating bolt. Judging from the Axis I have, I would not hesitate to buy another.
Do you have a wood stocked one Oldtimr? Mine has the synthetic stock.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my trigger spring kit was only $20 and took 10 mins to install.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Do you have a wood stocked one Oldtimr? Mine has the synthetic stock.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my trigger spring kit was only $20 and took 10 mins to install.
Did you install the kit yourself? check my post again, I added a target to see how it groups. My stock is wood. here is the rifle.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-28-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

I have an Axis in .308 with the "bull barrel". Had tons of accuracy problems with it while using a mounted bi-pod (Harris). Come to find out the stock was very flexible and would bend to touch the barrel. I am assuming from the weight of the barrel. I replaced the synthetic stock with a Boyds and the problem was fixed. Now its a tack driver.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=Oldtimr;4404447]Did you install the kit yourself? check my post again, I added a target to see how it groups. My stock is wood. here is the rifle.
QUOTE]
Yes OT...It doesn't take long at all to install. There is even a video on their site to watch before you buy to see if you want it. Mcarbo.com
Old 06-28-2022, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
I have an Axis in .308 with the "bull barrel". Had tons of accuracy problems with it while using a mounted bi-pod (Harris). Come to find out the stock was very flexible and would bend to touch the barrel. I am assuming from the weight of the barrel. I replaced the synthetic stock with a Boyds and the problem was fixed. Now its a tack driver.
Kelly you likely could have gotten off cheaper if you would have put a stud farther back on the stock to mount the bipod!
Old 06-28-2022, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

[QUOTE=bronko22000;4404464]
Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Did you install the kit yourself? check my post again, I added a target to see how it groups. My stock is wood. here is the rifle.
QUOTE]
Yes OT...It doesn't take long at all to install. There is even a video on their site to watch before you buy to see if you want it. Mcarbo.com
Thanks Bronco, which spring did you use, the 21/2 or the 31/2 lb?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.