Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 red dot scopes >

red dot scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

red dot scopes

Old 11-13-2003, 11:06 AM

Default RE: red dot scopes

I don' t see the size of the dot being too much trouble on a slug gun. A 6 MOA dot covers only 3 inches at 50 yds. I doubt too many hunters should worry about accuracy within the 3 inch dot itself - even if your gun is that accurate - in a hunting situation - that should be fine. At 100 yards it is 6 inches, again, does a slug gun really need (or is it able) to be accurate beyond a 6 inch spot in a deer hunting situation. Not really. On the range it' s different but we are talking about hunting accuracy here with respect to a red dot on a slug gun. IMHO
Old 11-13-2003, 07:40 PM

about red dots.....

i have only ever looked through a bushnell trophy and man do i ever hate it. with that bluish kinda tint and i dont see y they have 11 different brightness settings, anything past number 5 brightness is a waste....waaaaay too bright past 7

must just be something they add in to convince people to buy them....

does anyone know of any other red dots that have at least a 40mm tube and can stand up to 3 1/2" magnums? i havent lost faith in red dots as ive heard only bushnell uses that tinting. i dont want to sepnd more then $200 canadian on a scope too...

ch312
Old 11-14-2003, 07:21 AM

Canadianhunter,

I have to check my Trophy for the tint you are talking about. I haven' t noticed that at all. You are right on about brightness and I can' t imagine a hunting situation where you would need to take it over 5-6. The dot gets fuzzy at that level too. For the size you are looking for I think the only one' s I have seen are Tasco and Simmons. Prices are pretty cheap - Simmons was so cheap it scared me away from looking at them.