Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning... >

Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning...

Old 06-30-2021, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Here in Oklahoma, private sales of guns between non-FLL holders is legal without background checks. There is no such federal requirement either. If I sell a gun to a private individual I have then sign a bill of sale and have a valid DL number stating they are not prohibited from receiving a firearm and keep that in my records for my protection. I would never KNOWINGLY receive a stolen gun. In 2017, I bought a used Remington shotgun in Idaho from a private seller off Armslist. He had me sign the same sort of thing with a picture ID.

A private sales "loophole" still largely exists in America in many states still, not that I believe even just one NICS check ever saved one single innocent life. Virtually all guns involved in mass shootings passed background checks as they were transferred through FFLs.

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state...s-in-oklahoma/
just because its NOT required doesn't mean you cannot still do it
and it will offer again a level of HIGHER protection from you
as there is NO way of knowing if a gun was stolen when your buying it
its a fact
as a FFL holder and gun store owner, I have unknowing bought several guns that ended up being stolen(typically ONLY found out when a gun was either used in a crime, or for mine, when a military person was registering them on base where they did serial number checks on them
FFL dealers do NOT have the ability to check to see if a gun is stolen )
and once there discovered stole, you can be OUT all the $$ you paid, your hand writer or like paper bill of sale, won't really stand up in court, as you do not have the same protection and proof of OWNERSHIP as when a FFL does a background check at time of sale!@
its just an added layer of protection for BUYER
you will still loose the gun, and have to sue to get your $$ back,

but again, its a thought maybe you should consider, all the more so in a state that doesn't require it
do as you wish, but its a GOOD idea from my view to have a transfer thru a FFL< even if NOT required, the added peace of mind is worth the costs IMO!
all the more so in today's wold!
where there are so many anti gun folks looking for things to make a fuss about!

food for thought, but something I recommend anymore when buying hand guns at least!
Old 06-30-2021, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake
Stand corrected
Old 06-30-2021, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
A private sales "loophole" still largely exists in America in many states still
The fact you just used the words “private sale loophole” is indicative that - even if we were neighbors or coworkers, there’s not a chance in he11 we’d be friends...
Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The fact you just used the words “private sale loophole” is indicative that - even if we were neighbors or coworkers, there’s not a chance in he11 we’d be friends...

Agreed. Although in this case I don't think he has a desire to close said "loophole" but rather a lack of knowledge on appropriate terms. Just guessing from other things he's posted.

But I could be wrong.

-Jake

​​​​​​

Last edited by Bocajnala; 06-30-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Stand corrected
We're all allowed to be wrong from time to time.

As long as we don't abuse the privilege it's usually ok.

-Jake