Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning... >

Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning...

Old 06-28-2021, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Lightbulb Name any pre-2000 guns you dream of owning...

...but still haven't yet been able to come by.

Mine, prefer excellent to mint, or at least fully restore-able as by polishing, rebluing and/or stock refinishing (no damaged markings, deep scratches, cracks, rust, marring or pits, no aftermarket receiver drilling)

1. pre-2000 Mossberg 500 field shotgun, 12 ga., blue

2. Savage Model 99 with round counter, plain non-take-down model in a common deer caliber OR Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade bolt-action rifle (common deer calibers include: .308, .30-06, .300 Savage and .270)

4. Colt Lawman Mark III .357 revolver, 4" barrel, blue

The nicest modern firearms I've ever seen were made from about 1899 through 1979. I consider the 1950's through the 1970's the Golden Age of Guns. When Colt came out with the Series 80, guns have been progressively tanking ever since.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; 06-28-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Someone has been googling fireams, picking out a handful and posting like he actually knows what they are. The great pretender!
Old 06-29-2021, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Nobody believes I'm for real here and I don't know how to prove it. I've owned ALL of the firearms on my wish list at one time. They all got sadly ripped off in a home burglary in 1999. Possibly my scandalous ex-roommate had something to do with it.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'd suggest adding OT to your ignore list.

-Jake
Old 06-29-2021, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

you do know all of your guns can be had, all you have to do is start doing some online searches and have your wallet ready to buy when you find them
as prices can be a LOT higher than they were yrs ago!
BUt its not really that hard to find any of them guns IMO< if you make a little effort and have the cash to buy when you find them!

as for me?
I don't think there are any guns I have left on a list to own, I pretty much picked up all of them I ever wanted to own over the yrs
I do some what regret selling a few however, but even if I had them now, I still wouldn;t be using them, and the safes are already full of things i don't seem to use anymore as well!
and I am on the flip side of you,
as over the past 5 yrs or so I sold off over 200, trying to thin the herd, just too many to keep , knowing I have zero family members that have any interest in them .
SO figured I'd be better servicing the family I have by selling and leaving them something it seems they would rather have ( MONEY )
I still have plenty left, just maybe more of the one's that have more personal values and likes than many I sold !, and I will never sell them all!
Some the darn family will get stuck with HAHA!

Old 06-29-2021, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

here since I maybe gather you really don't like do any work to find out things on your own?? took me all of about 5 minutes or less to find them all?

LOL

Here is the colt

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101651326

https://www.gunsamerica.com/92755367...ee-Shippin.htm

https://www.gunsamerica.com/94759654...USEDJ28195.htm

savage 99, dig thru till you find one you like, NO shortage of them for sale!

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...c356_p1_o6.cfm

https://www.gunsamerica.com/s/savage%20model%2099

a OLD Mossberg, NOT the best of shape, but nothing some new stock and a good reblueing cannot make better! as seems your worried about the engraving/stamping of words on it??

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/17116352

Old 06-29-2021, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interestingly, the time-corrected price points for most firearm models which have been continuously produced throughout the last several generations have tracked slightly BEHIND inflation, meaning less hours are worked to buy the same firearm today than in past generations. This is ONLY accomplished by reducing manufacturing costs. Skilled labor time investment is being minimized, both by innovative automation of some processes and by reducing high duration labor activities for aesthetic finish.

Demonstrably, many models which CANNOT be more cost efficiently produced, either due to design or by market tolerance for aesthetic of the model, are falling by the wayside. We see this in the levergun market - leverguns require a lot of machining steps, and in general, quite a bit of hand-fitting and tuning. Equally, largely the folks buying leverguns are either wanting a nostalgic piece with clean finishes and nice wood, rather than matte bluing and polymer stocks, OR they’re wanting a modern twist on a fast firing rifle, with upgraded features for adaptability... nobody seems to want a cheap matte blue and polymer levergun which costs $500, not when a bolt action will shoot farther and smaller for $300. So Winchester failed, Marlin has failed multiple times... the days of the $250 leveraction Dirty Thirty on the shelf as a budget friendly option are over... they simply can’t be made at that price point and folks don’t want the version which could be built nearer to that price. Equally, we’ve seen Colt floundering for a few years, discontinuing then reintroducing various models - their raison d’être AR-15’s even - because they weren’t profiting sufficiently on the models, and now ultimately, we’ve seen Colt fail deeply enough to be acquired by CZ. Remington collapsed, Savage became an unfavorable investment (again)... yet Ruger’s stock prices have steadily sustained growth in and out of panic eras as they are continually innovating to reduce manufacturing input costs...

Fine firearms are still out there to be bought, but a buyer has to realize a $200 pricetag in 1975 would be equivalent to $1000 in 2021, so a buyer can’t pretend a $350 budget friendly rifle in 2021 is meant to be the equivalent of a $350 rifle purchased 30+ years ago.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I remember walking into my hometown sporting goods store. Even though I was only about 12 or so not really sure of the year I distinctly remember they older gentleman behind the counter calling me over and saying "look at this. who's going to paying $127 for a handgun"? It was a brand new 6" barreled Colt Python! If I'd have only known now what I know then I would have told him to tell his distributor to get me all he could.
I would love to have one of those, a Colt 1911 Gold Cup, and a M1A to set beside my M1 Garand. I know I can buy any of these and I'm really thinking of the M1A.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

The challenge I face is living in SW Oklahoma in a city of about 95K. This is adjacent to Fort Sill, a "bum you-know-what" part of America. I do not want to buy such sought guns online or at any auction. The nearest major cities are Oklahoma City about 100 miles north and Dallas-Fort Worth about 200 miles south. This leaves me gun shows, local pawn/gun shops and Armslist. I'm not in a hurry to find though. I want to inspect each and every gun in person before putting down any money. I don't have the financial resources and time to spend traveling wide in pursuit of the guns. I have all my sought guns listed as Wanted to Buy on Armslist. My Armslist subscription is $6.99 these days. I figure if you live in or near a major metropolitan area, there are going to be many more used guns (and used vehicles and used lawn mowers and used washing machines) in circulation there. If somebody has a primo Colt Lawman or Savage Model 99, it's not apt to be up for sale in the first place. My local gun shop in Lawton is full of present-day plastic/tacticool guns. There was only one wood-stocked long gun in the whole shop. The nearest major gun show is in Tulsa about a 3 hour drive from me. More pre-2000 Mossberg 500 shotguns have been sold than Mothers cookies so there still should be plenty of those in circulation. I would think a Husky Model 3000 Crown Grade rifle to be quite rare these days. Yes, some of the classic guns are getting rare and expensive like 1960's muscle cars and 1950's Chevys and Fords.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
The challenge I face is living in SW Oklahoma in a city of about 95K. This is adjacent to Fort Sill, a "bum you-know-what" part of America. I do not want to buy such sought guns online or at any auction. The nearest major cities are Oklahoma City about 100 miles north and Dallas-Fort Worth about 200 miles south. This leaves me gun shows, local pawn/gun shops and Armslist. I'm not in a hurry to find though. I want to inspect each and every gun in person before putting down any money. I don't have the financial resources and time to spend traveling wide in pursuit of the guns. I have all my sought guns listed as Wanted to Buy on Armslist. My Armslist subscription is $6.99 these days. I figure if you live in or near a major metropolitan area, there are going to be many more used guns (and used vehicles and used lawn mowers and used washing machines) in circulation there. If somebody has a primo Colt Lawman or Savage Model 99, it's not apt to be up for sale in the first place. My local gun shop in Lawton is full of present-day plastic/tacticool guns. There was only one wood-stocked long gun in the whole shop. The nearest major gun show is in Tulsa about a 3 hour drive from me. More pre-2000 Mossberg 500 shotguns have been sold than Mothers cookies so there still should be plenty of those in circulation. I would think a Husky Model 3000 Crown Grade rifle to be quite rare these days. Yes, some of the classic guns are getting rare and expensive like 1960's muscle cars and 1950's Chevys and Fords.
well when pen WANTS something, they tend to MAKE the EFFORT to get it
if your NOT willing to make the effort and just hooping on LUCK for someone to see your WANTED add and contact you
you may NEVER get anything your hoping for!
that's a poor way of finding something you want in life! waiting on others to come to you??

if your waiting for a local gun shop to get one in, odds are that is also a low ball deal
as well, dealers tend to pay less for guns than private sales(they have to turn about and sell it)
so most folks that sell guns, DON"T go to gun shops to do so
yes some do, but not very often on guns of value or rare unless , seller doesn't know squat or really needs cash FAST
and gun shops STOCK what sells
they DON"T like to buy inventory that doesn't sell FAST
and due to again, current trends are cheaper plastic low matte finish, or coatings
that's' what sells now and what dealers will continue to stock and sell!

NEXT, your remark of below

If somebody has a primo Colt Lawman or Savage Model 99, it's not apt to be up for sale in the first place
This is also NOT true, as there are always guns for sale, and the prices reflect it

there are countless owners of firearms that see profit as more important than collection of guns!
I personally sold some very prime firearms(over 50) this past few yrs, that were both rare, and highly collectible guns, and they all SOLD FAST, heck I had several that had a LINE of folks wanting!
and I sold them for very fair prices(which was also why so many wanted them)

SO< they again do get sold and do get sold at FAIR prices, but its not like you seeing these every day!\

it TAKES a person to be searching for things and OFTEN as well for them to FIND them, and when they DO find they they have to act FACT and be willing to travel many times to acquire things ONE WANTS!

collectors travel far and wide to buy the things they desire, its part of the game

being stubborn and refusing to travel, will rule out your TIME and odds of finding what YOU want
your choice to do so 100%
but just saying, when one's says they WANT something and it IS out there to be had
the only reason YOU don't have them is YOU!
not because there isn;t any to be had!

also, if your ONLY willing to Go to LARGE gun shows, your decreasing your odds a LOT of finding what you want
many times smaller town shows, have better prices on used guns and many times even more older things than the newer larger shows, that again tend to TAKE to the shows, what typically sells, plastic low costs guns!
they leave the harder to sell older stuff behind in there shops!
you an also walk around guns shows with WANT TOP BUY sign on your back
don;t laugh, I seen it work countless times
same as placing adds in local news papers, or at small town churches that have bulletin boards, and VWF"s
cannot tell you HOW many m-1 's1 M-14, m-1 carbines and GI 45's and like guns I bought by placing adds in VFW's in small towns!
and It ]thought nothing of driving many hours to get them!

Last edited by mrbb; 06-29-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.