Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold VX-II or Nikon Buckmaster? >

Leupold VX-II or Nikon Buckmaster?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold VX-II or Nikon Buckmaster?

Old 11-07-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Leupold VX-II or Nikon Buckmaster?

Hey everyone,

I' ve read all of the scope review posts that I could, but I' m still a little stumped. Which would you recommend for my 30-06? The Leupold VX-II (3-9X40) or the Nikon Buckmaster (3-9X40)? The extra $70 for the Leupold isn' t gonna break the bank, but I don' t want to blow the additional money if it' s a toss up.

Thanks to all in advance,
Jim
Old 11-07-2003, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Leupold VX-II or Nikon Buckmaster?

Buy the Leupold, their warranty and customer service is second to none in the shooting industry. Their scopes will last you a lifetime.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:19 PM

Jimbo, MOTT is spot on. Either are great scopes and you will have a quality piece of glass no matter which you choose. But the Leupold VXII is IMHO a lil better piece of equipment than the Buckmaster. I personally have 2 Leupolds (Vari X II 3x9x40 on my Knight and a Vari X III 4.5X14x50 on a custom 280) and a 15 year old 4x12x40 Nikon atop a 7mag (the scope would be equal to a Monarch now).

I sell both scopes and right now I will recommend the Nikon but ONLY because they have a sales spiff program to dealers thru 11/15/03, lol. Day in day out I will recommend the Leupold because of Customer Service and while the components are no longer exclusively American made (one of their lense suppliers is in the Phillipenes and is the same supplier for many oriental scope makers), the company IS domestic however and their warranty service is matched/exceeded only by the expensive European makers!!!

Good luck and at least you are thinking " quality" ,
RA
Old 11-07-2003, 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTurkeyTamer

Buy the Leupold, their warranty and customer service is second to none in the shooting industry. Their scopes will last you a lifetime.
Amen.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have and use both of the scopes , To me the Leupold is the clearer and easier to focus of the two . Other than that I have no complaints with either one .
Old 11-08-2003, 07:52 AM

Your input was valuable, thanks everybody. I just bought a new Leupold VXII, 3-9X40 on eBay for $258 with shipping. Can' t wait until it shows up on my doorstep!

Old 11-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Host of Hosts

You won' t be disappointed
Old 11-08-2003, 02:40 PM

I think there is significant agreement on this one. I currently own two Nikon Buckmasters 3X9X40. One is on a Remington 700 ADL chambered for .260 Remington. The other is on a Savage M111 chambered for .30-06 Springfield, (I actually took a Simmons off the Savage..." a package gun" ....and put the Simmons 3X9 on a .17HMR where it works fine), the Nikon is a replacement scope for the one originally " Packaged" on the rifle.

Both of the Nikon' s work fine, seem to be reasonably good optically, and I have no complaints. (Plus I picked them up for $189. - about $10. less than usual.) But in all honesty I prefer my Leupolds. I have various Vari-X II' s and Vari-X III' s and the Leupolds seem to be optically clearer right up to the edges. Though I would have difficulty " quantifying" the difference verbally! But I have used Leupold' s service department.....and without hesitation I can state they provide great service!

I think you will be extremely happy with your new scope!

Best of luck!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:54 AM

Good, I' m glad to hear that. These responses make me feel good about my decision!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope Leupold' s service department is as good as you guys say, cause I got a new VXII that won' t line up, sometimes it moves the POI and sometimes it don' t, when it does it really moves it, I mean like 2 or 3 clicks might move it several inches {sometimes close to a foot} one time and hardly none the next. My shoulder is sore from shooting my rifle today trying to get it to line up, I just knew that since it was a Leupold that it was something I was doing but its not, I guess I just got a bad' n.

Quick Reply: Leupold VX-II or Nikon Buckmaster?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.