Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bad ammo?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bad ammo?

2 years ago, an AR 9mm had a BCG come apart while firing. The ejector hook (terminology?) and cover blew apart hiring my shooting glasses, while blowing the mag out of the lower. Palmetto replaced no questions asked. Later that year, my Glock 26 26 burned my hand and blew the mag out of the gun. Today, my Taurus G2c did the same thing twice. All the ammo head stamps have different manufacturers.

This shows failure of the cartridge. Any ideas? Ammo is more then 10 years old. Could all 3 guns not full close and still fire?
Attached Thumbnails Bad ammo?-ee16fdc7-fd72-4326-a3bf-b61209977d85.jpeg   Bad ammo?-fc714bbd-f2d6-438a-a99d-b6f42f083f80.jpeg   Bad ammo?-a5b44889-5e7c-4458-91b2-08f014a1ab6a.jpeg   Bad ammo?-d25cbf4b-1c89-46eb-88d2-8c7ce5239d63.jpeg   Bad ammo?-d290a363-44f4-42f6-acd8-f19cbf3a7ad9.jpeg  

Old 08-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

well before I could make a more accursed guess here, I would need to know more info on the ammo~

you say different head stamps ,
which IMO< then means, someone reloaded this ammo HOT or WAY past spec
and used old brass cases they picked up!
I would Highly advice to STOP using this ammo
and even better pull some apart and take some measurements on things

I have been about a LOT of rounds sent down range,and have personally fires well over a million rounds myself(and NOT bragging or exaggerating)
I have seen several guns come apart from over loaded ammo
as a FACT, I personally had a glock 17 blow a hole in the framer, from firing double charged and many Under charged ammo, buy a Comp any that was known for HIGH end custom ammo, I was given 15,000 rounds of this ammo by the company, in several calibers
that BAD ammo ended up ruining a apart a Ruger Security six,(under charged loaded, person firing gun didnlt Notice the first two round NOT leaving the barrel and third shot, things stopped just shot of leaving the cylinder, before the guy noticed someone was wrong, THANK GOD< they didn;t ry sending a 4th round)
and then the Glock, I was firing, it tolerated about 500 rounds of this HOT HOT HOT ammo, before doing the damage ,
and before we then found out WHY things were so HOT, company that made ammo, was a custom ammo company known for making very HOT rounds and used all sorts of exotic bullets, they were yrs ahead of main stream in the ammo they produced,
The Ruger was corrected, after barrel restrictions were removed(logdged bullets, they were aluminum and about 57 grain head traveling VERY fast when loaded right, but these were under charged WAY under chaarged)
NO damage was actually found on gun, and had gun sent out to be X to look for stress cracks
Gun is still in good working condition and was one of our shops, RANGE guns, seen ten's of thousands of rounds both before and after this event!

The Glock on the other hand, was a First Gen Glock 17 from the 80's, I was a Gold stocking dealer for Glock at the time and one of there largest movers , so, a Glock Rep offered to TRY and save the gun for me
as at the time they said they NEVER seen a failure like what this one had suffered,

To Salvage the gun, they re stamped a NEW frame(forget either second or third gen frame ) with the original first gen serial number for me, to save things, so, I kept the gun(still have) just due to that, as its a original first gen serial numbered gun on a 2-3 gen frame now LOL

I have seen a BUNCH of AR's suffer issue's from shooting Lacquer coated brass ammo
the lacquer coating tends to build up on AR firing pic's and eventually sticks, enough on them that I have seen it break firing pins(never an issue on an AK or a SKS) tolerances on AR"S seem tighter and as such it can create issue's
all the more so when in the Full auto versions of things(was a class III dealer and shooter)

But other wise, the only way I can see again your guns having like failures is with the AMMO< and I HIGHLY doubt the ammo is Original , first time being fired NEW from the factory ammo and ALL of it, having same issue's with over charges, which I think are what is causing your firearms to get damaged
and its of NO fault of the gun maker, this is all user issue's and why many company
s directly tell you NOT to shoot reloaded ammo
as from person to person, WHO know's what one THINKS is SAFE< or what spec's they follow
there just NOT held liable as a large official AMMO company is!

so, again, STOP using this ammo,
and if it was ME I would pull ALL of it apart, scrap all powder and start over with reloading it the correct way!

consider yourself lucky you haven't got hurt, and pull this ammo apart! its proven to be bad and dangerous already!