Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
just curious, have you ever used your CCW to hunt? >

just curious, have you ever used your CCW to hunt?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

just curious, have you ever used your CCW to hunt?

Old 03-28-2020, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
That sounds pretty cool. Which 41 round were you using?
All I ever shot out of that pistol as factory Remington shells with the 210 gr flat tipped bullet. I really liked the 41 Mag. A lot more punch than the 357 but a lot less recoil than the 44. I carried it for years and the game I took with it was when I was helping either my brother or father to pack out game. Carrying the pistol was a lot easier than slinging a rifle but it was still legal and capable of taking game if I had a tag in my pocket. We hunted where there was a fair number of bear so I didn't want to be packing elk quarters while unarmed. That being said I never did have an issue with a bear. Every bear I saw was trying to put as much distance between me and him as possible but I know that 41 would have handled it if it came to that.

I never understood why the 41 Mag wasn't more popular. In a fit of extreme stupidity I traded it off with a lot of other guns including a Gold Cup 45ACP when I was making a deal on a Williams Evans double rifle in 450/400 3 1/4 Nitro Express. I got the double and then in an even bigger fit of stupidity I sold it off a few years later. Hind site don't ya know.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

It’s handgun hunting - there’s no trick to it, a hunter simply needs to understand the limitations of their cartridge and of their own ability to deliver bullets on target at range, in the conditions of the field.
thats rather well put!
I have had several people tell me a 45 acp is to weak to use, for hunting,
and while I fully agree a 8"-10" barrel 357mag or 41mag or 44 mag revolver is preferred
over a 4.5" or 5" semi auto 45 acp,
your success is more related to the skill of the hunter and his understanding of the limitations each handgun will have,
then in a choice between the previously listed options.
and of course, your fish & game department has a say in what you can legally use.
here in fla, your only limited to a centerfire cartridge using expanding bullet designs
at the typical ranges I handgun hunt (generally well under 30 yards) a 45 will work, but yeah a magnum revolver works better
I consider a 45 acp pistol as being limited similar to archery in the effective range most guys can successfully hunt at.

now keep in mind, the ranges where we hunt in florida seldom exceed 40 yards and 50 yards is a rare long shot,
most shots are taken at under 40 yards , in very thick brush.
you simply can,t see hogs or deer in many areas past about 20-30 yards

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-28-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Hardcastonly , I'm not going hunting in those woods ! There is nothing but spiders, snakes and gaters in there !
Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

don,t forget skunk apes, aliens and 20 ft pythons one reason I generally carry a 44 mag when hunting

while these may not be most peoples choice in hunting handguns I can assure you that in practiced hand's
Ive found both choices are quite effective
the 44 mag silhouette with adjustable front site and 10 5/8" barrel

I don,t know anyone who got bit by these banana spiders ,
but yeah they are very common in the glades
you just carry a palm frond and brush them out of your path.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-28-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

yeah,
having a few gators around to control trespassing don,t hurt

ADDING A FEW THIEF DISPOSAL SYSTEMS TO THE LOCAL POND ON YOUR PROPERTY WON<T HURT

guy below is

installing part of the garages car thief recycling system
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same pistol with the long barrel except mine was a 357 .

What a Hog ! Are they still good to eat when they get that big ?
I know some people in Texas who hunt hog . They keep the smaller ones under 200 lbs
They just drag the huge boars off the fields .and leave them for the vultures and coyotes

I see that gator is practicing his " Love Thy Neighbor " religion.
More like " I love how my neighbor tastes ! LOL

Oh , and that spider ? I would be firing shots at that too !
Old 04-04-2020, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a Ruger LCP 10th anniversary (basically the custom model) with a crimson trace laser and a +1 extended magazine (8rd total capacity). While I keep it loaded with Underwood 380+P xtreme penetrators and i'm sure I *Could* kill a game animal in a pinch with it, I obviously would never do that unless I was starving to death or got attacked and dropped my rifle or shotgun.

Old 04-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My .380 and 9mm concealed carry pistols aren't legal hunting calibers and my .357 carry revolver doesn't have a long enough barrel. Still I wouldn't use them if they were legal. They are far too weak to guarantee a clean fast kill. I can shoot a .357 bullet, 22 grains heavier and several hundred FPS faster with a 6 inch barrel revolver and it's not my first choice of stopping big game in it's tracks. Also it's not something I conceal carry without a winter coat. It weighs almost 3 pounds.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never hunted with my handgun I carry for self defense. However, I always wear it when I am hunting just in case. I had one of those just in case scenarios a few years ago, I shot a nice boar at about 50 yards, it went down kicking and went still. As I always do I have it 10 minutes after the last kick, then grabbed my back pack and rifle and came down out of the stand to take pictures. I walked up to the hog with my camera in hand and my rifle slung on my left shoulder. I took a picture at about 4 feet from the side then moved to the front at the same distance. I took the picture and when the camera flashed the hog blinked. Before I could say oh sh*t he was coming at me making a growling sound I never heard from a hog. I had no time to think, I drew my Kahr MK 40 and killed the hog at my feet. The Adrenalin was high I will tell you for about an hour after that. All that practice and qualification for 33 years paid off.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-08-2020 at 11:05 AM.