Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
have you been to your local gun shop or range lately? >

have you been to your local gun shop or range lately?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default have you been to your local gun shop or range lately?

Im all for teaching the novices to safely handle firearms and helping them gain the required skills,
but watching the new customers is not making me feel that confident in a few cases.
in my opinion, it would be darn hard to have acquired "TOO MUCH AMMO"
and it would be rather foolish to own any firearm you might consider for personal or home defensive use,
for which you don,t have at least several hundred cartridges readily at hand at all times and several magazines.
I find it rather amusing and rather depressing when I see people in PANIC MODE" desperate to buy a box of ammo,
I would think if you're consistent in your thought process concerning your personal and families security,
you would at all times keep your ammo supply at at least safe minimum levels.
now that does in no way suggest you need to hoard vast amounts of ammo,
but Id darn sure want 100-200 cartridges for the rifle or pistol or shotgun,
I was planning on using in any theoretical home invasion style, confrontation,
If I was under the impression, that society and law enforcement were to totally break down,
like the mad max apocalypse scenario
and only you alone could be able to defend your family,
(something I hope we never see and really don't expect to see happen)
but something Ive heard discussed as if its imminent
(I think thats about as likely as winning the lotto)
but I see guys at the local gun shops trying to buy up cases of ammo,
and at prices that would make me gag!
I find it even more amusing and depressing when I know
the purchaser has no idea that #4 birdshot and buck shot are different,
or that the last box of 38 super ammo clutched in his hand will not fit his 38 spc revolver

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-25-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I can tell you this, I had a gun shop during some wild times,(bans and like deals)
and I seen first hand how crazy people can get about Buying up ammo and guns, and many had zero clue what they were buying or how to use them and many had NO cares in how high a price was! as things got to be lower in supply [
prices went nuts high. couldn;t believe folks were willing to pay them but I sold everything almost I had !

it was almost scary at times watching some of these people buy things, knowing they had zero clue how to safely use them or just use them period!
more money than brains was a common opinion of me and workers, but they legally passed background checks and they had $$
the stories I can tell on this subject are far and many NO one would believe if I told here, yet 100% true!

It sure taught me decades ago, to BUY and keep ammo on hand in bulk for rainy days, or just when on sale at CHEAP prices

I am still sitting on thousands of round I got in the early 90's when prices were dirt cheap a to now, looking back now I wish I bought more

HOWEVER< I will tell this story of one of my customers and I swear its 100% true
he was a fairly well off married man, who believed in stock pilling ammo and guns, and I mean in LARGE amounts, would buy pallets of ammo at a time off me

well, one day, his home caught fire(wiring issue just an unforeseeable deal)
when fire dept got to his house and asked him about if any explosives or?? in the house, he told them about ALL the ammo he had
and at that point, the fire chief, called back his men, and they sat back and let the house burn to the ground, and evacuated neighbors and such, due to the excessive amount of ammo inside!

THEN as about as unlucky as could be, he moved, and re stock piled all the old ammo and guns, and a few yrs later, a second home fire happened, found to be a accident of some sorts, NOT set or like wise, just Bad luck
and again, when the fire dept found out on all his ammo
they again, stopped trying to pout it out and evacuated folks and let it burn down!

he did end up with a lot of hassle from the BATF too after the second fire, never found guilty of anything there either, but he was hassled and a LOT of his time and $$ was spent on lawyers answering things for him with them? As they sure seemed to want to hassle him on things.

so, there could be a down side to having TOO Much ammo in your home/shop, garage or??

Old 03-26-2020, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

People win the Lottery every week. The American civilization has never collapsed into carte blanche, anarchy rule. Martial Law has never failed to contain localized anarchy.

What event has ever transpired where a box of ammo has truly been insufficient to defend ones’ person or home? Recommending owners keep 100-200 rounds on hand sure sounds good, but what’s the logical justification for that volume? As a student of defensive statistics, it’s somewhere between 10x to 100x more ammunition than is needed to satisfy the demonstrated needs of defensive shootings. As an instructor, I can easily defend that a person should be practicing that much over each month with their defensive pistol, and historically, all of the “shortages” of the last couple decades have lasted far more than a month. So it’s either far too much or far too little, but scantly defensible. Having a couple boxes in the dresser drawer is an old generation mentality which hasn’t held water under scrutiny against appropriate training standards.

There’s a “run” on ammo. Folks who know they need ammo and maybe even a lot of folks who regularly buy ammo in smaller quantities are recognizing the fact they won’t be able to find ammo to buy for a while, so they buy what they can when they can, and the trend is self fulfilling. We’re leading into a presidential election with a demonstrated and vocal anti-gun democrat leading the party, with a relatively pro-gun president weakened by a national - nay GLOBAL CRISIS - and an American economic regression unlike any we’ve seen in recent years. We’ve seen runs on ammunition and guns every election in which an anti-gun candidate has ran. We’ve seen runs in every economic recession. We’ve seen runs in every national crisis. Why would we think, even if they average firearm owner DID have 100-200 rounds of ammo on hand, why would we ever think 1) people wouldn’t buy more, and 2) more people - folks who didn’t own a gun previously - wouldn’t buy guns?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

My visit to Cabelas last week showed an onslaught of buyers for guns, ammo and accessories. There must have been 30 people in line to buy a firearm, I talked to one of the workers on the floor and he told me that earlier in the day the line was twice as long! Hardly any ammo on the shelves. I had gone in there for a magazine pouch and an eight round mag for my M&P Shield. There were no S&W mags available so I ended up buying a 10 round ProMag. When I came home I ordered a Fobus magazine holster online and had it the next day via Amazon.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

bronko, how do you like that 10 round pro mag for your shield? Does it stick out much further than the 8 round? I know with the 8 round mag it conceals perfectly in the 4 o'clock position. Just wondering if it sticks out much further if I would have to set my holster at 3 o'clock to keep the grip/mag end from poking out. Or put a touch more forward cant in the holster position.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I have to say is if the natives run out of dope, booze or food they are going to do what they always do, RIOT!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
bronko, how do you like that 10 round pro mag for your shield? Does it stick out much further than the 8 round? I know with the 8 round mag it conceals perfectly in the 4 o'clock position. Just wondering if it sticks out much further if I would have to set my holster at 3 o'clock to keep the grip/mag end from poking out. Or put a touch more forward cant in the holster position.
I don't have an 8 round mag to compare it against but it is about 1" - 1 1/8" longer than the 7 round factory mag. I carry the Shield with the 7 round mag in a Blackhawk IWB holster and carry the 10 round in a Fobus single stack mag pouch on my off side. I don't have my camera but later I will take pics with my phone with me wearing the 7 round then the 10 round and let you decide.

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-27-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

No noticable difference between the 7 and 10 rd mags. Please pardon my "muffin top". I'm working on it...lol
Attached Thumbnails have you been to your local gun shop or range lately?-20200327_134815.jpg   have you been to your local gun shop or range lately?-20200122_173438.jpg   have you been to your local gun shop or range lately?-20200327_134947.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 03-27-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:51 AM
Spike

Up here in Canada there it is very similar to what you are seeing down there. New buyers are coming out of the woodwork in droves and existing owners are stocking up on ammo and accessories. I overheard one guy asking the owner of the store to see a pistol and the owner asked to see his license and he responded - I do not have a license. The guys said then I cannot let you handle the firearm. The customer asked how to get a license and the owner said you need to take a weekend firearm safety course (2 days) and pass a written and practical test AND if he wants a pistol he needs to do an additional day for his restricted license and pass another written and practical test. BUT due to COVID-19 all courses have been cancelled until further notice. The customer asked if there was any other way to obtain one - from a gun show, or private sale.........at this point the owner lost it. He said NO.......there is no other way to obtain a gun in Canada. He said I do not know what you have been told by your Liberal friends but there are NO loopholes - the laws are pretty cut and dry. He went on to say that without a firearms license you cannot handle a gun, you cannot buy a gun, and you cannot buy ammunition, you can just look at them. Another customer down the counter chimed in and said 'if' you voted liberal, the same guy that wanted to ban certain guns, and how that you are here looking for one..........that is rich buddy!!

Fortunately my ammo order came in in January - delivered to my door!
Old 04-04-2020, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
People win the Lottery every week. The American civilization has never collapsed into carte blanche, anarchy rule. Martial Law has never failed to contain localized anarchy.

What event has ever transpired where a box of ammo has truly been insufficient to defend ones’ person or home? Recommending owners keep 100-200 rounds on hand sure sounds good, but what’s the logical justification for that volume? As a student of defensive statistics, it’s somewhere between 10x to 100x more ammunition than is needed to satisfy the demonstrated needs of defensive shootings. As an instructor, I can easily defend that a person should be practicing that much over each month with their defensive pistol, and historically, all of the “shortages” of the last couple decades have lasted far more than a month. So it’s either far too much or far too little, but scantly defensible. Having a couple boxes in the dresser drawer is an old generation mentality which hasn’t held water under scrutiny against appropriate training standards.

There’s a “run” on ammo. Folks who know they need ammo and maybe even a lot of folks who regularly buy ammo in smaller quantities are recognizing the fact they won’t be able to find ammo to buy for a while, so they buy what they can when they can, and the trend is self fulfilling. We’re leading into a presidential election with a demonstrated and vocal anti-gun democrat leading the party, with a relatively pro-gun president weakened by a national - nay GLOBAL CRISIS - and an American economic regression unlike any we’ve seen in recent years. We’ve seen runs on ammunition and guns every election in which an anti-gun candidate has ran. We’ve seen runs in every economic recession. We’ve seen runs in every national crisis. Why would we think, even if they average firearm owner DID have 100-200 rounds of ammo on hand, why would we ever think 1) people wouldn’t buy more, and 2) more people - folks who didn’t own a gun previously - wouldn’t buy guns?
All that ammo is like a woobie. It makes people feel good to have it.

I agree for actual self defense in a local disaster/crisis you would be extremely likely to even need one full 30rd mag worth (and I do mean *extremely* unlikely), there is a reasonable rationale that if it was a lasting event- like an emp that knocked out all the power transformers on the continent- you could have to go several years without resupply. In a case like that, 200 or 1000rds or whatever is reasonable.

And don't scoff at that emp scenario. If a carrington event happened today, it would take us literally years to recover the power grid. And btw, all those power transformers, in the year of our lord 2020---- made in china.