Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shot through a rifled slug barrel >

Shot through a rifled slug barrel

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shot through a rifled slug barrel

Old 11-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Clem, I think I'm going to get a youth stock and put on it. I think shortening it up will solve the recoil issue. Its not a hard kicking gun, I enjoy shooting it compared to my slug gun. It's just a poor fit for her.

We shot today. I found a box of Hornady custom lights. I honestly really couldn't feel much of a difference. They had a slight poi difference. Not enough to really matter at 50 yards probably.

This is her at 50 yards. The three to the left are the lights. The three closer to the black are the standard sst slugs I use in it. I told her she's shooting it well enough that there's no excuse if she misses one.

Interestingly- she scoped her forehead slightly- on her first shot with the lights. Not enough to make a mark. But she didn't have it into her shoulder properly and it beaned her head and hurt her shoulder bone lol. (Don't tell her I'm laughing LOL)

Since neither of us could really tell a difference we'll stick with the standard sst's which I have a shelf full of already.

-Jake
I probably should not admit this but the first time I got scope kissed was 1968 the first time I ever shot a rifle with a scope when a guy I worked with asked me to take his Mod 88 to the range and sight it in because he didn't have the time. The second time was this year on the first day of the senior, Junior, handicapped and military doe season. I was using my mod 88 Win .308 which I had not used in 8 or nine years because I was using my Marlin 45-70 in those years. The Marlin has a short scope on it the Mod 88 has a Bushnell Elite which is much longer. I didn't feel the hit I took between the eyes and didn't know it until I was headed home to the butcher shop and I caught a view of myself in the rear view mirror and saw a big spot of clotted and dried blood between my eyes. I cleaned it off with an alcohol glasses cleaning swab and saw a crescent shaped cut from the eyepiece of the scope. Strange that both times was with a Mod 88 .308. That is twice in 51 years of hunting.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Good stuff ot.

This one didn't even leave a red mark on her forehead. Thankfully. Had it cut her I probably couldn't have tricked her into shooting it again lol.

Her main complaint was the recoil on her shoulder bone. But she knew right away what she did wrong and corrected for the rest of them.

I've got a Bushnell elite...32 or 3500 on it. It's a decent scope it seems like. I went with the sane thing I have on her .270. it has allot of eye relief for her.

Again I credit this to the gun not fitting her. And she was shooting off a rest and just not holding it properly. It was one of those situations where I say "ok make sure you have good form, hold it right on your shoulder" and she goes "I know I know" and then pulls the trigger and pop. I smiled a bit inside.

But she knew what she did wrong and corrected.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

And shot the rest of the shots. Which was the important part.

-Jake
Old 11-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've found getting a vest with a recoil pad pocket works better than an on rifle/shotgun recoil pad. I tried three different inserts before I found one I really liked,

Browning Mics Reactor G2 Pad Impact Gel