Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tough range morning >

Tough range morning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tough range morning

Old 11-07-2019, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tough range morning

A couple of days ago I went to the range to shoot a few rounds from a seldom used rifle. A fellow member took the bench to the left of me and another took the one to the right. They are sociable fellows so we chatted a bit while waiting for the time when shooting is first allowed. I was ready to fire my first round when the fellow to my left fired. I cringed at the blast of his rifle so I looked over and saw him sitting behind a 30-378 Weatherby with a muzzle brake. Then the fellow to my right opened up on a target with an AK. As soon as the AK fellow emptied his magazine (app. 20 seconds) another blast came from the Weatherby. I packed up my gear and quickly left the range without firing a shot. I need to pay more attention to what my neighbors are putting on their bags!

I then drove to my other club only to find a small group of fellows with their braked 50 caliber Barrett (sp?) rifles blasting away. I did not even bother to get out of my vehicle. Time to go home.

The next morning I was the only guy on the range and finally got a bit of trigger time.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
A couple of days ago I went to the range to shoot a few rounds from a seldom used rifle. A fellow member took the bench to the left of me and another took the one to the right. They are sociable fellows so we chatted a bit while waiting for the time when shooting is first allowed. I was ready to fire my first round when the fellow to my left fired. I cringed at the blast of his rifle so I looked over and saw him sitting behind a 30-378 Weatherby with a muzzle brake. Then the fellow to my right opened up on a target with an AK. As soon as the AK fellow emptied his magazine (app. 20 seconds) another blast came from the Weatherby. I packed up my gear and quickly left the range without firing a shot. I need to pay more attention to what my neighbors are putting on their bags!

I then drove to my other club only to find a small group of fellows with their braked 50 caliber Barrett (sp?) rifles blasting away. I did not even bother to get out of my vehicle. Time to go home.

The next morning I was the only guy on the range and finally got a bit of trigger time.
At least you were outside!

I went to an indoor range once and the person next to me sounded like he was shooting a cannon. Asked what it was, and he said ".308". I'm thinking "Nah".

Turns out he had a .308 with a muzzle brake at an indoor range. Really annoying.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have two indoor ranges at gun shops in my area. I took my grandson to one because the weather was so crappy with wind and rain and I was getting him ready for deer season. I do not like indoor ranges from my experience in this one. You can use up to 30 caliber and the range is not that long or wide behind the shooting bench. Every time a rifle fired I could feel the concussion on my chest, it made it hard not to flinch because you had to try to shoot before or right after someone else did. It would be a situation of no other choice before I went back there to shoot.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

The (unbraked) rifles never bothered me much. 30 cal is about the largest I've ever seen at an indoor range.

Was so proud of my 8-year old son. He was shooting his .22 rifle, and was the only stall not reprimanded by a RSO that evening.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Spike

Big Uncle, I hate ranges, for some of the reasons mentioned. Thankfully, I was blessed with the purchase of rural property 20+ years ago....and have a 300 yard range. Other than myself or my wife....it doesn’t get much use! memtb