Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Good Grief!!! >

Good Grief!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good Grief!!!

Old 06-27-2019, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Good Grief!!!

How can anyone shoot in this weather here in PA. If it isn't pouring down raining its 90* plus. I have 3 center fire rifles I need to get sighted in and load testing on plus a muzzleloader. And a fellow member gave me some poly wads to try out with my cast bullets. I'm just going to have to watch the forecast and get out there when the temp is in the high 70s or low 80s. At least that will be tolerable.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

have to have a range you can shoot at at sun rise before it heats up
but I feel your pains, the weather lately has been terrible, almost seems like it rains every other day, and crazier yet, I seen a local town is having water issue's, running low on it?? wee like 2 ft above record breaking rain fall amounts for the yr, and there low on water??
figure that out??

another thing, pending, where you shoot,
I used to have to sight in a lot of rifles for customers
and found if I can keep things in a vehicle with AC a blasting, have bench set up, I could walk out, fire 3 rounds, and put back in vehicles(bolt out helped cool things faster)
get ac to blow on them and make adjustments as needed
not perfect, but sure got things close or them, !
Old 06-28-2019, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

I hear ya Bronko! When a person stops and thinks, there are not many perfect days in a Calendar year to Shoot, Depending on where a person lives of course. I catch myself complaining about Winter here (North Idaho Winters can be REALLY HARSH, Lots of Snow, and Frigid cold) But in all honesty I don’t mind the Cold and Snow, The problem is not being able to Drive anywhere, We don’t have any shooting ranges around here anywhere, or at least not conveniently close to me anyway, I load up and head for the Hills, Which i LOVE But As quick as Snow arrives that ends that!! Idaho can Lay down 2 ft of Snow overnight EASY! Most of the Places i shoot will have an average of 6-8 feet of Snow , The entrances of the Mountain Rds will be a Wall of Snow.
Springtime is ALWAYS a Welcoming thing! Usually by the Middle of May our snow has melted and i can get around in The Mountains again, But then comes a new set of problems, Wind, usually LOTS of Wind, it will start out nice n Calm at Daylight But by 10am it will be Nasty Windy. We are PLAGUED with Mosquitoes and Ticks here every Spring, Drenching down in Bug Spray is a MUST!! This time of year you will get Ticks on you just about EVERYTIME out! It also dries out REALLY fast here When the weather gets nice, Within 2-3 Days of nice pretty Dry weather this Country turns to a Dust Bowl, and gets nothing but worse everyday, By the End of June I start worrying about Shooting Blackpowder in fear of Setting the Mountains on fire, July and August are usually BRUTAL Hot, Everything is so Dry that you don’t dare think about Shooting, And so far the last 3 years in a Row this Country Catches on Fire in July and we deal with Wildfire Smoke until Fall (October) Arrives with Rain/Snow to help the Firefighters put it out. Along with Fall comes Hunting Season (My FAVORITE time of year!) My time is focused Heavily on Elk, and a Big Whitetail Buck! My shooting gets put aside til Dec 10th when all Hunting has finally Closed, And of course Dec is when our Snow Starts, So the Cycle has started all over again!!

When i REALLY stop and think about it, There aren’t many perfect Days Here where i live in a Calendar year to get out and Shoot. I would say Winter is my Best time here, Strap on some Snow Shoes and Pack Targets out, No Bugs, and No worries of catching a fire. A Lot of my shooting videos are done at a little Sandpit about 8-10 miles out of town, and covered in Snow, That is 1 of the only places within reasonable distance of me, The snow plow will push out a Turnaround at the entrance of this Pit so i am able to get off the Rd.

Moral of the above story, Get out and Enjoy our Great sport of Shooting EVERY chance you get, We are here on this Earth 1 time, and time goes by FAST, REALLY FAST!