Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping >

Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping

Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

just a reminder, concerning the threads content!
if youve read carefully....what the OP has posted for info,
no one has yet taken the time or effort to prove, the rifle the OP is questioning, has accuracy issues ,
and proving its accuracy issues , if they exist, are not loose scope mounts,the OP,s shooting ability,
a defective scope , improper bedding or a dozen other potential sources for the rifle not shooting accurately ,
NOR define ,the group size the OP seems to find un-acceptable,or to that matter defined the group size he deems ideal.
there may be a lot of useful info, but it does not directly concern the rifle in question,
because nothing has been tested or ruled out or even tried as far as the posted info..
so far the threads dealing with a non-defined pre-conception of the desired precision,
kind of like "is the girl pretty" .. alot of the answer depends on the person asking and the person answering's ideas,
but theres few facts to use at this point in the discussion and it would not hurt if you could look at the "GIRL" in question!
well the same applies too this thread, so far your forced to deal on what someone elses sees as less than ideal results,
but your not dealing in facts that can be quantified
analyzed and if necessary verified, so suggested cures to an un-defined problem,are at this point rather meaningless

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-07-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Good point. What size is the group, and has he shot smaller with another rifle. Doesn't tell about scope though. But probably where to start.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Iy. Since most shooters recommend 2-5min between shots for the barrel to cool, I was hoping maybe you had new data or some background science which would prove those old rules wrong in favor of the 10-15min you recommended.
Maybe 10 15 minutes is extreme. But again, he would be out an hour, a little effort.

I do have a gun that shoots poorly when warm. But I am also basing on common beleif. You agree about the idea, just that I may take it to an extreme. Though I don't believe you even acknowledged heat being an issue at first
Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Can you provide more detail on your load work up process and how long it ends up taking you to develop a load?
I dunno. Working up loads, to me checking out your hand loads to see which is best.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

@hardcastonly’s point is exactly why I jumped on some low liklihood, no reason to point at, back pocket, sure sounds good on the internet BS.

Blaming thermal expansion and materials of construction before even considering a dozen other more common problems - and without defining the problem itself is NOT good troubleshooting. If a rifle doesn’t shoot well, it’s not very likely it is simply because it is made from stainless. It’s far more likely the shooter can’t deliver, or the rest is insufficient, or the shooter has unrealistic expectations, the optics are poor, the stock doesn’t fit well, the trigger is too heavy for the shooter’s expectations, loose mounts, etc etc etc. Blaming metallurgy in this case really wasn’t pertinent.

But it sure sounds good online...
Old 12-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Big BLEEPING deal. People throwing out things to yry, I added another.

I didn't realize we could not post another idea until he checked off the previous post.

I by no means said this is has to.be it or try this first.

I still stand by asking how fast he was shooting and if rapid, slowing down may make a difference.

but spare me the righteousness. You get on a forum and people throw out ideas to try.

this would have been better if the guy interacted more. Maybe he is afraid to get his head bit off by a know it all..

hopefully he has a list of things to try, and will report back as he does them. Not everyone gets to the range every day.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:39 PM
Spike

If it was shooting good and now it’s not I’d start with checking your scope base and ring screws followed by cleaning it. By cleaning it use a solvent to remove the copper fouling. While you’re soaking the barrel you can make sure the stock screws are torqued correctly.