Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.380 semi-auto for wife >

.380 semi-auto for wife

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.380 semi-auto for wife

Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Big Uncle mentioned the new Shield EZ. My wife shoots my M&P Shield 9 MM very well but has trouble operating the slide. I might look into that little gun as an addition for her use. Because she couldn't operate a 9 slide that well I bought her a S&W 637 Airweight in 38 Special. She shoots that double action revolver accurately and it is small enough to slide into her purse.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hunters life mentioned a very good point. Sometimes there can be a big difference between just a shooter for the range, such as target practice, and a pistol for CCW. Although the OP requested info specifically for .380 pistols, having a few more details could be helpful in giving more tailored advice.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm.... I guess I just assumed the pistol was for CCW when the OP mentioned a .380. If it's for target practice, a .380 gets expensive. You could just use any number of 22 LR's for target practice and save a lot of money. And honestly, the only reason I would CCW with a .380 is if a 9mm was just too big for the carry restrictions. And nowadays, some of those small single stack 9's are darn near as small as a 380.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Spike

My wife like my M&P BG 380 and my G42 380.,anything bigger she want use at all.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Happy to report an update to my wife's problem working the slide on my Shield 9mm. The other night during "happy hour" we were talking about taking a look at the 380 EZ and I told her I couldn't imagine why she had trouble with the 9. I got the 9 thinking it would be a bit tamer rather than the 40 M&P Shield I was looking at. I pulled it out and dropped the mag, cleared the chamber and handed it to her and told her to rack the slide. I focused on her grip and the pressure she was putting in the slide. I suggested a different push pull approach and she pulled it right back. I had her do that for a while and then had her put the mag back in and rack a live round into the chamber. Click- click and it was done. She looked at me in amazement and did it again and again until the mag was empty. She still has trouble getting the last couple of rounds locked in while filling the magazine but now at least she can operate the gun and clear it if she ever got a FTF. Progress is great. Perhaps now I'll pick up that .40.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I am going to weigh in because i have alot of experience in this area.

First, a 380 is not a terrible defense caliber. If you think it is, stand in front of one. I think its foolish to push someone into a bigger caliber if this is all they want to handle. Is a 9mm, 45, .40 more powerful with a bigger bullet? yes, but again, having a 380 with easier milder recoil so she can practice is FAR better than a stick or nothing at all if she can't hit the target. So 380 is fine!!!!!!!!

secondly, to suggest a glock or gun like a glock without a safety isn't wise necessarily. I usually laugh at people that say "oh, i would never get a safety, or this gun has a manual safety so i would never buy it".. just don't use it.. .simple as that. But for a beginner i always recommend a safety because safety is first when handling a gun. I carry a SW Shield that has a safety, i don't use the safety but it ain't in the way. i can always engage the safety if i choose.

3rd, how about a lightweight revolver? shooting a lighter recoil hornady bullet? Its pretty much full proof and easy to use and very rare you would ever fire it on accident. . Thats what i suggest to most women who look for advice. Its also in 38 special.

If you must have a semi auto, you may want to look at ruger. Ruger tends to build in a little more safety especially for newer shooters.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Great post Semi and I agree 100%. My wife's other gun is a 38 SP snubbie S&W 637. I actually carry it sometimes when I want something that fits in my genes front pocket. My Shield has a manual safety and I do carry it with the safety on. I am just too old school to change.