HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .380 semi-auto for wife
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 AM
semi
Typical Buck

I am going to weigh in because i have alot of experience in this area.

First, a 380 is not a terrible defense caliber. If you think it is, stand in front of one. I think its foolish to push someone into a bigger caliber if this is all they want to handle. Is a 9mm, 45, .40 more powerful with a bigger bullet? yes, but again, having a 380 with easier milder recoil so she can practice is FAR better than a stick or nothing at all if she can't hit the target. So 380 is fine!!!!!!!!

secondly, to suggest a glock or gun like a glock without a safety isn't wise necessarily. I usually laugh at people that say "oh, i would never get a safety, or this gun has a manual safety so i would never buy it".. just don't use it.. .simple as that. But for a beginner i always recommend a safety because safety is first when handling a gun. I carry a SW Shield that has a safety, i don't use the safety but it ain't in the way. i can always engage the safety if i choose.

3rd, how about a lightweight revolver? shooting a lighter recoil hornady bullet? Its pretty much full proof and easy to use and very rare you would ever fire it on accident. . Thats what i suggest to most women who look for advice. Its also in 38 special.

If you must have a semi auto, you may want to look at ruger. Ruger tends to build in a little more safety especially for newer shooters.