Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
is reality a problem for you in selecting between, new vs traditional? >

is reality a problem for you in selecting between, new vs traditional?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

is reality a problem for you in selecting between, new vs traditional?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I like the old stuff as well.

Which has nothing to do with the capabilities of the new stuff.

-Jake
Old 10-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I have nothing at all against "going with modern trends"
provided there is a document-able improvement that provides some measurable advantage.
example ,
synthetic rifle stocks, if properly made are an advantage over wood,
(more stable,easy to precisely machine, for aluminum bedding blocks, not subject to moisture damage or warping)
but I see no advantage of the 6.5mm creedmoor over the century old 6.5mm Swedish Mauser
optics have improved very noticeably in the last 10 years, the trend toward 30mm tube scopes, and much improved lens and coatings, is a big plus

100 year old swedish mauser

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65x55-swedish-mauser/
https://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5x55.htm
recent 6.5 creedmoor
https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/01/09/sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-creedmoor/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-09-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

You may not need 400 yard shots. Some will say you don't need all these guns.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven’t met very many good engineers which have so willingly ignored efficiency.

Comparing Long action and super magnum cartridges to a short action cartridge and patting yourself on the back is a pretty silly game - another oversight I would not have expected from any good engineers I know.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

You can argue different cartidges have differnt uses, such as you don't need so much power or range for what you are doing. My point is ergonmics. They stocks carved out of logs don't really fit are wrists.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
My point is ergonmics. They stocks carved out of logs don't really fit are wrists.
Wanna run that by me again? I have no idea what you’re trying to say here. Wood stocks don’t fit because they are wood? WTF?
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Wanna run that by me again? I have no idea what you’re trying to say here. Wood stocks don’t fit because they are wood? WTF?
Straight or nearly straight stocks, are not ergonomic. Notice the military use pistol grips?

I have not fired a bolt operated rifle with pistol grips. But they do feel more comfortable. When shooting long periods even with the almost straight stocks we call pistol grips, can be hard on wrists. It is not a natural angle for our hands.

We don't drive cars with our wrist at some odd angle. We type on keyboards at pistol grip like angle too.

Wood stocks are left over from, carving stocks from wood.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
Straight or nearly straight stocks, are not ergonomic. Notice the military use pistol grips?

I have not fired a bolt operated rifle with pistol grips. But they do feel more comfortable. When shooting long periods even with the almost straight stocks we call pistol grips, can be hard on wrists. It is not a natural angle for our hands.

We don't drive cars with our wrist at some odd angle. We type on keyboards at pistol grip like angle too.

Wood stocks are left over from, carving stocks from wood.
I will disagree with you, when you get into professional shooting sports, shotgun, or rifle matches, you do NOT see any or many at all with pistol grip stocks
a Fine fitting shotgun will never have one
the military and law enforcement use pistol grips for mroe control over HANDLING and carrying the gun, and NOT due to more for shooting them?
YES they can be more comfortable at times with a pistol grip, but a proper fitted stock set up to the shooter will seldom be a pistol grip stock! IMO

I like BOTH so NOT bashing again, just saying
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have to wonder if many of them use a traditional stock, cause that is the way we always done it. I just can't see the advantage, other than it is pretty.

I have only shot semi autos with pistol grip, bu have thought about build a bolt. It just seems more comfortable. There have been times when shooting for long period my first gets stiff in that odd posisiton. It is not a natural position. But as I said I have not fired a bolt with grip. But it sure seems left over from when we carved stocks from wood. But now we got all kinds of fancy metal and plastics we can use.

If you ever start to get joint pains, they talk about keeping your wrist at natural posistions.

I agree you can get the length fitted to you. Of course it only fits you in one state, jacket on or off. As opposed to stocks that can be adjusted
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard the arguement that straigh stock will swing faster into posistion. I guess if you hear it enough you believe. I got both, I dunno. But people talk about it for bird hunting or Marlins guide gun. I bought GBL, 18" with pistol grip. Well sort of pistol. I am not a huge fan of the straight stocks. I do have 1894.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.