Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
is reality a problem for you in selecting between, new vs traditional? >

is reality a problem for you in selecting between, new vs traditional?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

is reality a problem for you in selecting between, new vs traditional?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try something real quick, stand up, pretend you are holding a pistol grip stock, swing left, then swing right. If you are right handed, reverse if you are a lefty.
A pistol grip makes you keep your elbow down, a traditional stock forces/allows your elbow up. A right hander swinging to the right with a pistol grip and your elbow hits your body.

Elbow up or elbow down is kind of a personal preference type thing, with a pistol grip elbow up gets problematic.

I prefer comb stocks for a simple reason. I use my rifle to move brush and limbs, with a pistol grip you have to change your grip to lower the rifle to fire while carrying your rifle perpendicular in front of your body.

A lot like the old argument about carrying a rifle at high port or low port. I always carry at high port, somebody is always telling me low port is better and faster. I was shot in the left ankle by a guy standing to my right carrying at low port. I was always taught muzzle up 60 years ago, the new wisdom is muzzle down.

I like traditional style composite stocks, generally more weather resistant, less likely to swell in wet weather. But nice wood is purtty.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-09-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe. But try this. Stick your arm out. Which direction is your fist? We are built to that our grip is naturlly perpendicular to our arm.

I am going to argue that since the military use it, their must be a reason. Maybe they are not shooting pop up grouse, but the weigh of consequences is more dire than missing a bird.

Either way, I'd like to build bolt action with something closer to pistol. I do get sore wrists. Maybe I will find out I get sore elbows.

I also admire the look of nice wood. Not saying I will never buy one. But I also think cosmetics are for chicks. I am not going to pass on composit or stainless steel cause it is not pretty enough for me. Now I may due to cost or heat characteristics. But not cause the lipstick doesn't match my eye shadow.

Last edited by Berserker; 10-10-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

I think a great deal of what your "COMFORTABLE WITH" is related to what you've spent decades using
I think the pistol grip stocks were rather helpful if your shooting prone or trying to control a fully automatic weapon,
but I find them rather awkward shooting trap or skeet,or hunting the timber for quick shots on elk, or mule deer
probably due to decades of using an under/over browning , ithaca,and skb, and hk shotguns and weatherby bolt actions and browning single shot rifles
obviously if you were to practice extensively with one you would learn to compensate.
some guys prefer blondes... some prefer brunettes
personally I find long leggy brunettes, with a nice rack, and weatherby fibermark,stainless rifles and browning falling block rifles, perfectly suited to my needs

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-10-2018 at 05:13 AM.